Windows update problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hughseee, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Hughseee

Hughseee Private E-2

ok, it's probably been asked before, but..... how do I solve the dreaded windows update freeze problem. My computer hangs everytime it connects to the ms update site. I have scanned various forum threads but no solution is forthcoming. Microsoft even have a two step process which does....nothing.
    Any bright sparks out there with the answers ????

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

This is for XP SP2:
    Register the needed dlls
    1. close IE
    2. start/run and type in "regsvr32 atl.dll" without the quotes
    3. Then do each of these one at a time
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll
    regsvr32 qmgr.dll
    regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll

You should see succeeded after each one is registered. If you don't, post where the problem occurred.

3. Hughseee

Hughseee Private E-2

Thanks for that. I registered all dll's but still no success. The computer tries to auto update and then just freezes. Thanks anyway. I'll keep scouring the forums.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Are you sure it is frozen? For some unknown reason, one of my four computers takes about 1/2 hour to get to the page offering the updates. I let the green line move back and forth and do other things while it does whatever it is doing.
    All four computers run the same OS, windows 2000, and this is not the slowest computer I have. I still haven't been able to figure out why this one is so different from the others. There must be some setting somewhere that I haven't stumbled across. Also the hd is 20 gig with only about 3 gigs currently in use so it doesn't have to look over an enormous amount of data. Security programs or close to the same (this computer and one other run CounterSpy). If it was the only computer running CS, I would think that would be the place to look.

If you can't get the updates from the update site, you can go to the catalog and download them. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=323166

These are the listings for XP updates http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=Windows XP updates
    If you click on the last updated column, it will sort in reverse chronological order so it is easier to find the monthly updates.

5. Hughseee

Hughseee Private E-2

Yep, certainly frozen. It doesn't even get to the green line part of the update program. The adsl indicator stops flashing, indicating no activity at all. I have been informed that it is related to the updater prog using all of the system resources ????

Thanks for the link to the updates. I'll give that a go

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds