"Cannot Remove Dz2 folder" message

Discussion in 'Software' started by Denise_M, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I'm not sure where to post this thread because I don't think it's a virus/trojan and I also don't think a program is causing the problem, but I decided to post it here because it comes the closest.

Many times, not always, when I empty my recycler, I receive a message that says "Cannot Remove Dz2 folder: the directory is not empty" When I unchedked 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' and 'Show and Hide Protected Operating System files', the Dz2 folder can't been seen in the recycler. I did a search for "Dz2" with 'Search System Folder' and 'Search Hidden Files and Folders,' but it turned up no results. I looked for it in Safe Mode also but, again, it wasn't there. While in Safe Mode, in case Dz2 is a virus or trojan, I ran Avast at the most thorough setting and I ran Spybot, Adaware and SUPERAntiSpyware Professional, but they didn't find anything. In Safe Mode with Networking, I ran BitDefender Online Scanner and it found nothing. (I couldn't run Panda because it said that something needs to be turned off. I turned everything off, such as Windows Firewall, Avast, SuperAntiSpyware, etc, but it still couldn't perform a scan.)

Is there a way to delete this folder that can't be seen or found?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Did you try deleting the folder while you were in safe mode? Try it.

Steve

3. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I honestly can't say that I did because I can't remember, but it would have been the most logical thing to try first. The next time I get the message, I'll go into Safe Mode and empty my recycler to see if I get the message there.

It always goes away on its own. I'll receive the message for about 1/2 hour, but 2 hours later, I won't receive the message when I empty my recycler. It always comes back again though too, but I don't know what I could have placed in the recycler that would cause this message. I don't use anything that has the name Dz2.

I also ran Trend Micro Housecall and it didn't find anything either.

4. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I just went into Safe Mode to try to delete the Dz2 folder. I'm attaching some screenshots.

The first screenshot shows my desktop where the Recycler shows that there are items in the Recycler, but the larger picture shows that there are 0 items in my Recycler.

The second screenshot is the message that shows that there are 2 items in my Recycler, asking me if I'm sure that I want to delete them.

The third screenshot is of the error message that I receive that says that I can't remove the Dz2 folder.

Also, when I run Disk Cleanup, it shows that there are 0 files in my Recycler.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Try installing Move on Boot from
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html

Not available from MG, unfortunately. :cry
    Has always worked for me. One of Halo's favourites. :D

Bazza

6. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Thanks for the program, Bazza. MoveOnBoot requires a path to the file/folder and I couldn't find the path to the recycle bin. I also tried to lead it to the recycle bin on my desktop, but when desktop is opened, the recycle bin isn't listed. I also did a search for the recycle bin with Show Hidden Folders and Show System Folders checked and the search turned up nothing. Can you tell me where it's located?

If Dz2 can't be seen when the recycle bin is opened with Hide Hidden Folders and Hide System Folders unchecked in file options, will MoveOnBoot be able to see it if I find the path to the recycle bin?

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

It's under C:\RECYCLER, but it's a hidden Protected Operating System folder.

Open My Computer and click on Tools > Folder Options. Then open the View tab. UNCHECK Hide Protected Operating System Files. Then open C:\ and you should be able to see C:\RECYCLER.

Steve

8. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

This is the only file that's in my Recycle Bin . . .

Attached Files:

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I have never used MoveOnBoot, you might have to wait on someone that's familiar with it.

Steve

10. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

The program is very easy to use . . . just browse to find the file and choose 1 of 3 options, but I haven't chosen an option for removal of the file because I don't know what the file is . . . it's name isn't Dz2. The Recycle Bin icon is the empty one now, not the one that shows that there are files in it. The file just comes and goes by itself and I can't pinpoint what might have caused it to appear in the Recycle Bin and nothing that I do makes it go away. One minute it's there and sometime later, it's gone.

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If the file isn't put there by you, then it can't be removed by you. The other users have to login to remove it.

If you are the only user on the computer, try this
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229041

12. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

To move on boot use Hijack THis.http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155

Run HJT>config>misc tools>delete file on reboot,and browse where is the file you want to delete,reboot.I use this all the time when I work on other comp than mine.

13. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

It's not in my Recycle Bin right now but I'll try both programs when it appears again . . . if one doesn't work, maybe another one will.

The link to the Microsoft site is a good way to delete files/folders that were deleted by the user but it won't work for this problem.

I don't know where the folder comes from. I never deleted Dz2. It only shows up in my Recycle Bin on random occasions, but it's not really in there or, if it is, it can't be seen.

I'm the only user on my pc, Admin.

Thanks for your help . . . I appreciate all your input. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds