Deleted mshtml process - desktop no longer works

Discussion in 'Software' started by rem1, Oct 4, 2007.

1. rem1

rem1 Private E-2

First time poster -

I accidentally deleted the mshtml process from task manager (I thought it was McAfee Security as opposed to a Microsoft process). Now when I boot up, almost all of my desktop icons have lost their associations (except internet explorer) and do not respond to a doubleclick. When I first boot up I get an Active Desktop html error. I have downloaded a new mshtml file and put it where the old one was but this has not worked. I am unable to do a system restore. I am unable to run any programs from the "Run" dialog box.

Any ideas on next steps?

Thanks,

2. rem1

rem1 Private E-2

The exact error message at boot up is "Internet Explorer cannot find the Active Desktop HTML file. This file is needed for your Active Desktop. To turn off Active Desktop, click OK."

3. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Not trying to sound smart, but I don't believe that you can delete a process with Task Manager, only stop its running during the current boot. Upon rebooting this process should run again.

More information is needed such as the OS ( Win98, 2000, XP ) and the version of Internet Explorer being ran.

This is what Microsoft has about the error, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193110.

Hope this helps, and Welcome to Major Geeks! :)

4. rem1

rem1 Private E-2

Running XP SP2 and IE 6.0. I had seen that link on Microsoft but wasn't able to make it work and even tried the "regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll" solution at the bottom.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Have you tried restoring to a point in time before you removed the file?

6. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

On boot do you try to call safe mode and hit last known good configuration.

7. rem1

rem1 Private E-2

Yes, I tried last known good configuration but that did not work. I am not sure how to correctly perform a system restore. I was hoping that the last known good configuration route would ask me for a date and time but it did not.

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Very simple.

Click Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> System Restore.

Next you will be prompted whether you want to create a restore point, or restore the computer to an earlier time. Select earlier time, and press next.

A calendar will appear, and you should select a date immediately before the problem occurred.

Click Next, then next, and the computer will restore settings to that time.

9. rem1

rem1 Private E-2

Oh yes, I remember I that I tried that but System Restore, like most of my other programs is not longer accessible. That's my main problem, all of my icons and programs are no longer recognized by the system. I'm thinking I need to reinstall XP. I don't think I was provided backup disks from Dell when I bought it 3.5 years ago. If I call them do you think they would provide me with a backup copy of XP? Of course, I can't get anything to run from the Run dialog box so I'm not sure I can even reinstall unless I format the C: drive somehow.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds