Pasting tab-separated data into Excel sheets

Discussion in 'Software' started by Amjad, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

Hi!

Scenario:
    I have a PDF document that contains a table, I simply select the data using the select tool, create a new Excel sheet, paste into the new sheet, what I get is this: All values are put in the first cell as one block.

I'm sure that there is a way to make the values get into Excel just as they were in the table, each value in a cell.

I need your suggestions, is it a setting in Excel? or should it be in Adobe Acrobate Reader?

By the way I have Microsoft Office 2003 Professional and Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I'm not sure the exact steps you will need to take, but I would point you to the 'Text To Columns' function on the 'Data' menu.

I know that this will work for comma delimited fields, and if I recall correctly, the procedure is nearly identical for tab separated fields.

See this link

3. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

Thank you Mada_Milty, I was able to do it by selecting "space" separated values. Anyway, isn't there a way to make Excel treat all values pasted from clipboard the same way? I mean to treat them as space separated automatically. I saw it once (an employee was copying values out of PDF tables and pasting them directly into Excel as separated values. Of course he doesn't know how he did it).

Thank you again.

Amjad!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds