Microsoft Baseline Security Advisor Analiyse

Discussion in 'Software' started by Henri, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Henri

Henri Private E-2

Today decided to run MBSA - using my Computer Name and the IP Address.

To my surprise the results were different. Is that unusual. Upon a response I will venture to send details as to the differences.

Thanks
    Henri

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Different than the results of another machine, or different than the past results of the same machine?????

Not unusual on the same machine.

Can you post details of the "issues"??

3. Henri

Henri Private E-2

Hi

Tks for yr prompt response. Will arrange a screen shot of results and post asap.

4. Henri

Henri Private E-2

Hi

I am sending sections of results. Hopefully you will get the drift from the attachments.
    The first is from when I start the scan with the computer name which shows all to be OK.
    The other two consists of two files which are shown when I enter IP address and you should clearly note the difference especially extract 42

I am sure you will get an idea of my querry.

P.S. Only able to attach two files. Will attach other after this has been despatched

Attached Files:

5. Henri

Henri Private E-2

Hi

Missing attachment will have to reorganise bcs it appears to be larger than the allowed size. Will get back to you shortly

6. Henri

Henri Private E-2

Missing attachment hopefully which shows some vulnerability

Attached Files:

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Yes, this does show.

Your results have changed since you've done one or more of the following:

1. Created new user accounts
    2. Changed user account passwords, weakening them
    3. New Windows updates have been released, and not installed
    4. Windows Firewall was disabled.

Can you confirm that any of the above are true since you last scanned and found no vulnerabilities?

8. Henri

Henri Private E-2

Hi

In answer to your questions

1. Not aware of creating any new user accounts
    2. Have not changed any user account password
    3. When I check Windows Update, I am being told they are uptodate
    4. I use Zone Alarm Security Suite which is anti-virus/anti-spyware combined
    together hence Windows Firewall not activated.

The question is why should there be a difference between the outcome when I enter my IP Address and Computer Name where the results are OK

I have never created any new user accounts / changed any user account password.
    I assume that this is done through user accounts in Control Panel/User Accounts

Pls take into account that my PC knowledge is pretty basic but learning as time goes by.

9. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Well things do change on a system through time.

However, I'm still not entirely sure what we're comparing here.

Are you saying that you get one set of results by entering your computer name, and another set by entering your IP?

10. Henri

Henri Private E-2

Hi

You have hit the nail right on the head. That is exactly what happened on the occasions I decided to use the IP Address. Actually was the very first I used the IP Address whereas in the past the Computer Name.

Getting pretty close to bedtime here in Germany so will check out your response tomorrow during course of the day.

Henri

11. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Two questions then:

1. Are there other computers on the same network?

2. Are we absolutely certain that your hostname resolves to the IP you are supplying?

If you haven't made the changes the MSBSA is suggesting you have, I would expect that we're scanning an entirely different computer.

If there is a DNS issue, your hostname may resolve to an IP address different than the one you've given the MSBSA.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds