PeoplePC removal tool

Discussion in 'Software' started by buzzbee, Nov 1, 2007.

1. buzzbee

buzzbee Private E-2

does one exist?
    I have removed PeoplePC via add/remove programs, used the search system and removed an additional 17 files and folders, and I still have parts of it on my computer. it's interfering with my regular email program-not to mention what the change at my provider is doing. I'm pulling my hair out between the two.

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Go to Start > Run > then type ppcounin > OK.

See if that starts the uninstall process.

Steve

3. buzzbee

buzzbee Private E-2

sorry, that one didn't work, a window popped up saying MS windows couldn't find the item.

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options.

Click the View tab.

Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

Note To access Windows Explorer, click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.

Now, do a search for the file and see if you locate it.......and run it. It could be in the recycle bin, just right click and restore to original location.

Steve

5. buzzbee

buzzbee Private E-2

thanks, I ended up with a non-standard set up, so my WinXP's "windows explorer" is hidden in "search". I went to the toolbar and checked, and found that I already had show hidden files and folders checked-did it back when I tried (and failed) to wrap my non-tech brain around the system here on the forum board for removing a virus (turned out it was a "reasonably" mild adware trojan and I have that cleared up), so that's already set up. and I did find some of those 17 peoplepc files and folders by clicking on hidden files and folders in the search/windows explorer program. I've found both the hidden and unhidden files by using search, and rebooted. I ran fix-it utilities, and I downloaded a rootbot find/kill (none were found or killed when I ran the program). I also, in getting rid of the trojan, downloaded adaware and spybot, they found nothing having to do with peoplepc.
    I don't know if peoplepc's causing my email box to occasionally say my password is invalid, or if it's my provider's new system causing the problem-they tell me the phone company changed their phone number without notifying them, so I couldn't log onto the net for a week...long story, never mind, but now that I can log on to my provider, occasionally as my incoming mail auto-check looks for new mail, it insists my password is invalid. but that may be seperate from the dreaded case of peoplepc. or not. lol...not...

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Assuming outlook express, tools accounts, then remove the people pc account from there, restart outlookexpress and check if still problems.

7. buzzbee

buzzbee Private E-2

thank you, Coleman,
    that was the ticket. a corner of the program I've not been in before. and now my internet connections seems to be completely error free. so it could be that as far as the invalid password, PeoplePC was the culprit. fingers crossed. I am so glad to be free of it. it's very proprietary.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds