windows locator turning off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by link48010, Nov 17, 2007.

1. link48010

link48010 Private E-2

I'm networking XP and vista, I've narrowed down the problem's association to Windows Locater, here's what I'm doing, Network and Sharing center>Manage Network Connections>right click wireless adapter/properties>Properties of Client for Microsoft Networks>Name service provider in Vista is blank but with XP it's default is Windows Locater. When I select Windows Locater, click OK, close the properties window, it still doesn't see the XP computers, and when I go back to the properties, the Name service provider is blank again. how do I get this to *stay* using Windows Locater.

2. budweisr33

budweisr33 Private E-2

Vista Network Map uses a discovery protocol called Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) that queries other devices on the network to display the network map correctly, therefore you need to install this LLTD update in Windows XP to fix this device discovery problem.

Go to this Microsoft Windows link to download the LLTD update (KB922120)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...1D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds