System tray in ObjectDock?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mimsy, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I installed ObjectDock last night, and put my most used shortcuts on there, along with the ones to my malware-fighting programs so I would remember to update them, and then I checked the box next to "Hide the Windows task bar". My desktop looks much better now, but I kind of miss the system tray. Is there any way to only the System Tray to show up, or to put it on the dock?

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Hope this helps, Mims.

3. Mimsy

I ran a search for sdmcp.exe, but it doesn't seem to be on my computer. Can I install StarDock central separate?

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I don't think it's freeware. But if you find it, you should be able to set what folder you want to install it in.

5. Mimsy

Hmmm... if I can't find it, do I have any other options?

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I found this, but not sure where the DL comes from.... scan it, before install and before using.
    Stardock MCP download

7. Mimsy

Odd. It installed itself in a temp folder on the E-drive, and gave me no chance to move it elsewhere. Strange.

Even stranger, now I can't find it... :confused

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Check your processes and see if sdmcp.exe is running. I DL'd to check it out and then clicked the icon in my temp folder. That started the process running.
    Now to get rid of it, because I don't have StarDock on this PC.

9. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Look for this: GLB1A2B.EXE. That will install the sdmcp.exe.

10. Mimsy

Well, once I have double-clicked on the the service is there, and it is using a few CPU cycles, so I'm assuming it's running. i still can't see a system tray though :(

11. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

When I clicked the icon in the temp folder, it installed the .exe icon on my desktop. Did you get that?
    You should then be able to put that shortcut in your start-up folder. Oh, and re-boot.

12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Or do you have to make a shortcut from the actual file? Search it out and do that, I think.

13. Mimsy

Starting to be just a bit frustrated, I deleted all Stardock folders from the E drive. I then reinstalled, and created a shortcut to sdmcp.exe in my Startup folder. Rebooted.

Still nothing. What is it supposed to look like, by the way? What am I looking for?

14. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Not really sure, mims. Check in your options and see if there might be a new option now or a new icon for the systray. I'll go do some more research. I never actually used that feature when I had StarDock.

15. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

16. Mimsy

Hm... I'll have to go play around with that. I see some things there that I don't recognize, which makes me wonder if I have all necessary components installed or not... I'll have to search more thoroughly.

17. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

OK, good luck.
    I just opened a bag of Chicago Style popcorn, so I will be busy for a little while, but will check back. [​IMG]

18. Mimsy

As it turned out, I needed to install the StarDock Object Bar as well as the Object Dock, to get the system tray. Problem is, that gave me an entire bar, and I only wanted a system tray and maybe a clock. I'll have to do some digging in the Preferences of the Bar.

19. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Yeah, that makes no sense to have a bar when you are already hiding the task bar. It should be a clickable icon within ObjectDock. Well, I took you as far as I ca go without actually installing here. Hope you get it straightened out.

20. Mimsy

I'm sure I'll get it figured out. I've found the option that hides the actual bar but leaves the analog clock up, which is fine. I don't mind the clock, quite the opposite. Unfortunately, hiding the bar hides the system tray, and to have the whole bar, and only those two things on it, looks weird. I have not given up though... There's got to be an option there somewhere.

Thanks for all the Help! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds