Bandwidth hogging

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by InYearsToCome, Mar 24, 2003.

1. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

I have a home network setup with a Linksys Cable/DSL gateway-router, running 3 comps. everyhting works fine, except when one computer is using lots of bandwidth.

for example, if i'm downloading a number of large files, the internet connection slows terribly on the other 2 comps. Same thing happens if one person is Gaming, the other 2 comps lose netspeed

this is majorly annoying when my brother and I are playing Internet-based games (such as Tactical Ops or Counter-Strike), because it causes us to get HUGE spikes in performance and sending our ping through the roof (2000 and up)

Is there any way to fix this kind of behavior?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Cant you use XPs QoS to limit bandwidth per and share it? I have not tinkered with it yet since I have not run into that problem...

3. Ryanwb

Ryanwb Private E-2

You need to install a switch to solve this. A switch transforms a shared network into a switched network, whereby each node gets access to the network at the maximum bandwidth speed. If you have five ports, for example, each port receives 100Mbps access, provided you have a switch installed. With what you are running now you are sharing 4 ports at 100mbps, therefore it is 100/4 20mbps to each connection.

make sense?

4. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

should have mentioned about the switch...

The router has a built in 4-port switch, and in addition I bought a 5 port switch thinking on the same level as you that it would solve the bottleneck. No luck.:(

As for the QoS, i have run some utilities that configure the QoS packet scheduling for optimal broadband performance, but it did nothing to help the problem. Any specific suggestions with the QoS that you know of?

thanks

5. Ryanwb

Ryanwb Private E-2

Something could be creating a broadcast storm, go down and buy a Fluke and put it on your network :)

6. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

Whats a fluke?...guess theres lots i still dont know

7. Ryanwb

Ryanwb Private E-2

A Fluke is a networking monitoring device that looks exactly like an over sized Gameboy. You can plug it into your network at it will give you a detailed description of what is going on from broatcast storms, beakonings, DNS information, the whole 9 yards. I have access to one from my job. They are like $4000.00, so I was trying to make a funny....trouble is, nobody finds me funny :)

8. Ryanwb

Ryanwb Private E-2

[​IMG]

Notice the gameboy reseblance? Actually it looks more like a texas instruments graphing calculator

9. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

hahahaha I have actually seen those before but never heard them called a fluke

sorry i'm not techie enough to get your funny;)

10. Ryanwb

Ryanwb Private E-2

I don't think I understand my humor either :eek:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds