NVIDIA Control Panel does not appear....

Discussion in 'Software' started by isaac987, Dec 19, 2007.

1. isaac987

isaac987 Private E-2

Windows XP Home (SP2 and fully updated)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX
    Pentium IV 3.60 dual core
    Creative Extreme Music SB X-Fi 5800
    Optiquest Q22wb LCD Monitor

I have an NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX with driver version 6.14.11.6375 (10/04/2007). When I go to Settings - Advanced - GeForce 7800 GTX - and click on 'Start the NVIDIA Control Panel' nothing happens! The pointer turns to an hour glass for a breif second but no control panel ever appears.

I have tried different drivers, uninstalling in safe mode and using every kind of cleaner including Driver Cleaner then re-installing, as well as shutting down most running programs including AVG Professional anti virus and Zonealarm, but no joy!

Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Do you have the little NVidia logo down by the clock? If so, try using that to open the NVidia Control Panel...

3. isaac987

isaac987 Private E-2

Hi dlb :)

Yes I tried that as well and nothing, the hour glass icon appears then nothing. I have been doing lots of googling but there does not seem to be a fix.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

IIRC ( maybe mistaken and thinking of ATi ) it needs .NET to work so grab the latest .NET http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3559.html

also do you have any Graphic Card tweaking software installed nTune RivaTuner etc? if so uninstall those and does the Control Panel open.

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

6. isaac987

isaac987 Private E-2

Hi

I tried installing the latest .NET from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3559.html but still did not work.

Downloaded the lastest drivers from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3559.html and still no control panel.

When I click on the NVIDIA Control panel the mouse cursor changes into an hour glass for a second then stops and... nothing.

Windows XP Home (SP2 and fully updated)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX
    Pentium IV 3.60 dual core
    Creative Extreme Music SB X-Fi 5800
    Optiquest Q22wb LCD Monitor

7. isaac987

isaac987 Private E-2

Sorry forgot to also mention that I had no other graphics editing software installed first of all, but in trying to fix the fault I installed nTune RivaTuner which did not fix anything so I uninstalled it. I was just wondering if anybody else has come across this.

8. isaac987

isaac987 Private E-2

I managed to get my control panel showing by finding the NVIDIA folder on my hard drive and editing the nv4_disp.inf with notepad to include the lines under the [nv_ControlPanelSettings]

HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:4,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvdisps.dll"
    HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:5,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvgames.dll"
    HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:6,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvmccss.dll"
    HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:7,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvmobls.dll"
    HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:8,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvvitvs.dll"
    HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NvSvc,"Nvcmd:9,Register",%REG_SZ%,"nvwss.dll"

Then uninstalling and reinstalling using the already downloaded drivers with the edited nv4_disp.inf file.

This seems to have solved it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds