Need Help With Network Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OCD, Dec 23, 2007.

1. OCD

OCD Private E-2

I recently downgraded a anew HP 6a242n to winxp for a friend. I finally got all the drivers and got it up and running again last night. When I was updating it I was using a USB aircard because of a dead router. It was working fine until I did the set of updates after installing SP2. After rebooting the connection started dropping off after a few minutes. I would have to reconnect and it would work ok for a few minutes but then drop again. I thought it was the aircard (I work for a wireless company and selll these aircards and know the local network is still unreliable.)

I got a new router and set my network back up and when i hooked up the HP to finish a few things I started having the same problem. The connection would be working but slow and then just drop off to where IE or firefox would not be able to load even a simple page. When I ran the windows diagnostics from the link in IE I get this:

Last diagnostic run time: 12/23/07 07:56:23 WinSock Diagnostic
    WinSock status

info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
    info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
    error Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] could not perform simple loopback communication. Error 10055.
    info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
    info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
    error Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider could not perform simple loopback communication. Error 10055.
    error A connectivity problem exists with an installed LSP.
    action Automated repair: Reset WinSock catalog
    action Successfully executed: netsh winsock reset catalog
    info System restart required

Network Adapter Diagnostic
    Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
    Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=1394 Connection, Device=1394 Net Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=1394
    info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
    info Network connection: Name=Axcess Data (EVDO-1x), Device=PCI Data Fax SoftModem with SmartCP, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
    info Ethernet connection selected
    Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
    error Could not make an HTTP connection.
    error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
    error Could not make an FTP connection.

I restored winsock library with dxdiag.

Ran a few network trouble shooting programs like network magic etc.

Tried the windows and some other program utilities for repairing connection.

I can run a speed test and get decent ul/dl but then cant even load a page in a browser. Seems like its only really hampered for http https and ftp.

I am at a loss. Im not exactly a newb but far from a network guru.

Any suggestions?

Also, inactivity seems to a be factor. In the time it took me to type this post it went from slow to dead. Once it drops completely, only way to get connectivity back is to reboot although network magic still says my connection is up but it cant run its speed test and i cant load a page in a browser. ( i have never used NWM before but found it here so figure it is reliable although it hasnt been very helpful. IF anyone has suggestions for a better utility, Im all ears)

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Check Windows Firewall may be it blocking something.

Otherwise to evaluate what is actually wrong with the Network use this process.

http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds