My network (must suck :P)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thing, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Thing

Thing Guest

Hail, how are you gentlemen ?

Can you please comment my networ, what i really need to know is if it safe, and really want to know this thing about passwords and windows log-in.

Two computers running windows 98 se with all upgrades and all software\hardware up to date, each with two ethernet normal cards, one on each computer connects to the internet (independent conections but same provider, its like having two connections) the other card on each computer connects to the other computer. Simple, right ?
    I like to have always the share ready, so each computer with two harddrives have them shared (from the root c: d:...) with full access. Well in the past with windows xp i got a problem, with full share and no firewall anyone could access from the internet. So now i use the norton firewall and i pass 100% the security test.

Looks like it is safe, my question is, what is this "windows logon" thing... it asks for password but i just press enter, i want to auto-skip this, i remember that when i used a tweak to auto-skil the logon i coudn't access the other computer. Can anyone explain me ? Also in the drive share options there is a option "Passwords" i just leave it empty. Other question that i have is, what is this "access control" in the network config.
    The last question is the options in the network component "client for microsoft networks" i dont unserstand any of this options.

I think all my questions are connected\related to each other.
    Thanks for your time :)

Farewell

2. King

King Private E-2

Network sounds ok, as long as firewalls on both PCs.

Windows logon- Typically used for profiles I believe, like when more than 1 person uses a PC they can all have different Desktops, Wallpapers, etc. Typically only shows up in networks if the users local password is different than the password of a network resource. Find '*.pwl' (without quotes) and delete all of them, next time you reboot/login it should ask for a password and confirmation, make it the same (none, if needed) as your network password and that should be the last of 'Windows Logon'

Share level passwords - Mainly used I think when you want some people to have full access to shared files and others only read access. Many worms can cross over non-password protected shares, but the firewalls should limit that.

Access control - Exacly what it says, it's how access to your shared resources are controlled. 'Share level' means that if you know the password, you can have access. 'User level' means that the resource(s) of that workstation are controlled from a list of users or groups residing on a server of some sort (used for streamlining user/resource management).

Client for microsoft networks - Logon to NT domain is only used if you have a Windows NT network server. Quick login doesn't test the drive connections ( C on computer1 [F:]) before re-mapping them. Full login does test and let's you know if the resource on the network is not available.

Hope that helps :)

3. Thing

Thing Guest

Cool

Thanks for your replay.

Looks like all my options are ok, i mean, no need to change any.

Only that log-in thing... i dont have any .pwd and my computer 100% not config. for more than one user. I did already press ok with no username, pressed cancel... but it always comes up, there is a option in "client for microsoft netwoks" wich is quick logon, but i think that if i select that i wont be able to access my network drive.

4. King

King Private E-2

Windows logon- Try this. Start -> Settings -> Control Panel; Double-Click 'Network' and check what your 'Primary Network Logon' is, and let us know. If set to 'windows logon' it should be invisible, unless you have profiles activated, or a corrupt .pwl file. Also, check to see that you're logged in as a user; Click Start-> Log Off, and then make sure there's a name in the top box, if not, put one there (I use a . for my logon name, on my 98se home network, so almost anything will work)

Hope that helps :)

5. Thing

Thing Guest

Primary network logon: client for microsoft networks

I removed the log-off menu :p do you really need to know ? i dont think i have any user, hope i can stay this way :)

6. King

King Private E-2

Unfortunately, I think you will need a user. Windows likes being logged into. Try the '.' username, it's the closest to none that i've found. Change your network logon to 'windows logon' and put in the '.' user, and it will start booting up to your desktop.

Good Luck :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds