TO: Everyone Seeking Driver Help
In order to help you locate or install a particular drivers, solve a driver problem like no sound, or "I just installed a new video driver and now my games look all whacky," there are a few things that should be included in your first post here at MajorGeeks to help with your problem.
1. Please include your motherboard make and model. If your PC is a "pre-built" like Dell, HP, Compaq, etc, please include the make and model of the PC. Most towers will have this right on the front of the case; laptops usually have it above the top row of the keyboard, or on a sticker on the bottom. If you don't know the make and model of the motherboard, download and run Everest Home Edition. It's free and very easy to use. The link is listed below.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html Then attach your log to your thread/post as per these instructions HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post
2. Please include a clear description of the particular driver problem you're having, and what happened right before the problem started. For example, a driver was updated and now the sound doesn't work, or when you try to go online the PC crashes, or you just did a fresh Windows install, etc. Please try to avoid generalities like "My sound just stopped. Please help."
3. Include any hardware and software specs that are relevant to the problem you’re having. Again, run Everest for hardware and software details. List your operating system version and service pack (Windows XP Pro SP2, Windows 2000 SP3, Win98 SE, etc.) Linux problems should go to the Linux forum.
4. Try to list any steps you may have already taken. This way we won't tell you to do things you've already done, and it will save time.
5. Try to locate the driver yourself. After running Everest, many times you'll get all the info needed to track down a particular driver. If you're using a pre-built machine, the manufacturer's web sites USUALLY have the drivers available. Occasionally the drivers they have won't work or will be the wrong driver. It happens. That's why we have this forum
6. Please try to be patient. We do our best to help, but sometimes a post gets overlooked, or someone is researching your problem and will get back to you in a day or two. We're all busy, and we do our best, and we will (usually) get around to your post. Bumping your post every hour isn't going to help (not to mention against forum rules).
7. If you solve the problem on your own, please post that the issue has been addressed and that all is well. If you can include what you did, you may help someone else in the future.
That's it! I wrote this guide to try to help everyone here at MajorGeeks on both sides of a driver problem; the problem 'owner' and the problem fixer. Hopefully by using this guide, driver problems can be solved more clearly and quickly, with the least amount of stress. Thanks for reading!
Here's some links that should prove very helpful:
Everest Home Edition http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
Unknown Devices http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3908.html
AIDA32 Enterprise Edition http://www.majorgeeks.com/Aida32_-_E...tion_d183.html
SIW (System Info for Windows) http://www.majorgeeks.com/SIW_System_Info_d4387.html
PCWizard 2008 http://www.majorgeeks.com/PC_Wizard_d3846.html
Also try the links posted in the sticky here in the Driver forum; it's the first post. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=8870
Last edited by DavidGP; 03-02-09 at 12:51.. Reason: added attach file steps guide
|The Following 48 Users Say Thank You to dlb For This Useful Post:|
@hometechy (06-12-11), adam1234 (08-24-10), AgentOrange (12-31-08), Archangeldawn (01-04-09), aunttilly3to5 (03-13-11), bill9 (01-04-10), blerim (10-16-09), casehole (07-25-10), castone (01-18-12), Coco Beans (02-18-11), davideky (11-20-12), Debitha (07-09-11), deejaydose (09-12-08), dnnyo (07-14-08), emsang464 (03-14-10), esszeeeye (01-31-09), fvanemaus (07-16-12), gibtar (10-24-10), gordie (12-04-09), GreatGuy3 (02-26-13), grif900 (01-27-13), hammy72 (06-09-11), handal (06-12-11), Holyvinci (12-29-11), Hyphen (07-23-09), imcaf_fl (07-02-13), jeetkunedo (05-07-12), JesseS (09-01-08), Josr (09-13-10), LanQiao (10-06-08), littlebobbie (08-15-13), LittleDragon (05-12-09), mailman739 (10-31-09), maxanson (12-18-08), Mchizie (08-09-08), meg_k200 (09-30-08), MercuryGoddess (08-13-08), necro61 (04-27-09), new hope computers (12-04-08), Pete22 (12-18-10), pj52 (12-02-12), planejumper73 (05-01-12), SandiS (11-18-08), smileycrossbones (04-04-11), Spock96 (09-29-11), sssteve72 (01-30-09), videointerprod (09-06-11), ymiiing (11-10-11)
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|To EVERYONE seeking driver help||dlb||Software||5||01-23-08 23:10|
|Desperately seeking help!!!||pcawley||Malware Removal||3||02-17-07 02:34|
|Son-In-Law seeking help!||soninlaw||Malware Removal||17||01-31-06 02:52|
|Desperately Seeking||smuckers32||Software||3||06-13-05 23:17|
|Seeking englightenment||Draith||Software||3||06-08-03 16:03|