Cable internet...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anubis XXI, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Anubis XXI

Anubis XXI Private E-2

I previously had Roderunner cable at my home, and it was great, but the service went offline frequently, so I had to cut it. I am now thinking of getting RCN cable service. I've got a few questions and any help anwering them is greatly appreciated:
    1. They offer normal cable speed (800k - 1.5 mb) and Megamodem (1.5- 3.0 mb)...the megamodem is $25 more expensive...worth it?
    2. Their cable service is only one way right now (it's not digital)...I could download, but not upload. How exactly does this work then? Would I have to use my phone line (for upload) and my cable for download?
    3. In such an event, would I have to use both phone and cable at the same time to surf the internet? How would I go about getting everything to work like this?
    4. When they install digital cable, how much is the price of the service likely to go up, if at all?
    Again, thank you for your time.

2. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

well, it all depends on how fast you want to go, 1.5 Mbps is about 150 KBps in round numbers. so 3Mbps would net you a 300 KBps download speed.
    You are correct about the dial-up situation. You'll have dial up pload, so pretty much no online gaming for you. Most likely this would be accomplished via VPN.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds