Wireless card questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Matt_iac, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Matt_iac

Matt_iac Private E-2

Hey i'm building a new pc, and was wondering how important a "top dollar" wireless card is to get in regards to connection speed. I would guess that wireless in general isn't as reliable, but are wireless connections slower than direct cable connections? I have a shared connection with four other roommates, and i'm not close to the modem... So I think wireless is my only option?

Also if anyone could recommend a type of card i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks, :)

2. adm1329

adm1329 Private E-2

I don't think that you're really going to see a huge difference if any in speed with a higher end wireless card. You may get a better connection from farther away, which could effect your speed if you're far enough away from the router.

Wireless shares the bandwidth, so if you have a 54Mbps connection and 4 people using it at the same time, that 54Mbps is split 4 ways.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds