USB Malfunction

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Error302, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Error302

Error302 Private E-2

i'm having a similar problem, i put in a usb flashdrive and it was unhappy, and suddenly all of my usb devices just turned off and stopped working, including my mouse. i was only slightly amused when windows told me there was a hardware problem and to "click here" for more info.
    i still can't get it to work, i've tried restoring to a week ago, and i've run hijackthis, my virus scanner, and even ad-aware for good measure. i dunno what to think other than my motherboard spontaneously shorted. but even THAT doesn't add up as the light on my usb mic still turns on during bootup until windows loads to a certain point and then it turns back off again, never to be heard from again T_T
    by the way i'm running XP home... and this is a relatively new machine, if you think the logfiles from any programs can help just point me to em and i'll report back as soon as i can.
    it's so strange tho, everything else seems to work fine, my games, my sound.
    thank goodness for the little usb adapter thingy for my mouse or i'd be stuck keyboard only.

2. dagnabulous

dagnabulous Private E-2

Your problem may be with conflicting USB device drivers. I've had this problem myself and the only way I know of to fix it [if that is the problem] is to uninstall the various usb device drivers, then the port/controller drivers, then reboot [may take more than one reboot]. I am definitely NOT an expert in this situation, but you weren't getting anything else so I thought I'd put in my two cents. You could get more information, possibly more specific to your situation by doing a "USB error" search in Google. You won't find a shortage of similar forums with multiple solutions, so if you want to try something else or if this doesn't work, I'd give Google a shot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds