Setting up home LAN using ethernet hub and WindowsXP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roadcaptain, Feb 11, 2008.

1. roadcaptain

roadcaptain Private E-2

I am trying to get a simple home lan going for gaming purposes.
    Using a recently purchased desktop as host and laptop as client.
    I got to the point that i can view shared folders on each computer but no game will work.
    Network connections indicates that "Local Area Connection" has limited or no connectivity.
    I'm puzzled. I'm sure it's something simple but I haven't set up a network since Windows98 days.

Please help

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I dont use file and print sharing, are you because it sounds like it? What game are you trying to play, typically you skip the old school way of doing things (having a third party server and connect) and host the game yourself and allow the other machine to connect via the internet. In other words, simple TCP\IP. Let me know more on the game, for example. Someone else may be able to help.

3. roadcaptain

roadcaptain Private E-2

I am using file and print sharing. The games are "Battlestation Midway" (by Eidos) and "Yuri's Revenge" by EA Games. My neighbor and would like to play Battlestation Midway but neither of us has high speed (hence the LAN).
    On Yuri's revenge we play online but neighbors brother would like to join in but can't because of the dial-up ISP's limited bandwidth. So the need for a LAN.
    BS Midway has first priority for functioning.

Thank you

4. roadcaptain

roadcaptain Private E-2

Well apparently NO ONE KNOWS how to set up a simple old fashioned LAN. Not everyone has HIGH SPEED and it isn't the solution to everything. This isn't rocket science........can ANYONE tell me how to set this up?

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

6. roadcaptain

roadcaptain Private E-2

I have looked at these sites and absorbed the info. I did discover the client computer had no IP address assigned. Address was assigned as suggested and we are sharing drives, file and folders but still no game will work. A little more personal direction will be required with a struggling novice. Some basic troubleshooting would solve the problem i'm sure.

Please help

7. roadcaptain

roadcaptain Private E-2

Well I guess I will give upon getting any assistance from MajorGeeks.com the links seem to be geared more towards Internet Connection Sharing and not a gaming LAN. I have found other sites which were more informative. I discovered one of the cables had been plugged into the "Uplink" connection on the hub and apparently from what I have gathered on other sites this is a no no.
    Still struggling..............

8. Bob_stefanio

Bob_stefanio Private E-2

Ok the major issue i have with home lans (Me and my friends do them regularly now) is the firewall issue a WHOLE TON OF GAMES hate firewalls and when you start them up in a lan you have to manually make exceptions in windows firewall for them if your using norton macafee or any other one of those heavy duty firewalls while on a lan with no external net connection i would advised turing them off as that would sort most of this our.

Just as a check to make sure its not an actuall connection issue check this.

Open up run from the start menu and type in cmd hit ok in the dos menu type in ipconfig and check each computer has an ip address make sure there all on the same network if you have not set the ips manually make sure the only diffrent number is the last one. 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2 these are ok but if you have say 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.2 thats a no go the first 3 numbers should be the same then try pinging each other in the dos window type " ping *other comps ip*" and see if you get replys if not then its firewall issue try taking down the firewalls and see if you can ping then.

9. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

For yuris revenge i believe you need to instal ipx protocol, as some of the other c and c games dont use tcp/ip.

10. roadcaptain

roadcaptain Private E-2

Thanks guys...some progress has been made. I have enabled tcp/ip, ipx and netbios protocals. The network works fine until one of us creates a game in the lobby. The other comp never finds the created game in either Y.R or B.S. Midway. We have tried allowing exceptions in windows firewall for games and tried turning firewall off entirely. Makes no difference.
    Have verified IP addresses are correct 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 respectively, subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
    Each comp has unique name and assigned to same work group. File and print sharing is enabled.
    Under "Network Connections" I show 1394 connection connected and bridged, Local Area Connection connected and bridged, and Network Bridge connected.
    Thank you for your responses....i'm sure we shall reach a solution soon. Please have patience with us.

11. roadcaptain

roadcaptain Private E-2

Pinging was successful. He can ping me and I can ping him but still no game works? I guess we need to explore protocols, services and clients. I'm not sure at this point where to go from here. Randomly making changes and hoping something works is probably not a good idea. Any clues?

12. roadcaptain

roadcaptain Private E-2

OK...I found a patch for Battlestation Midway and it is working on the LAN. Have yet to try "Yuri's Revenge". I suspect it may still not work but we shall see. Apparently clutching at straws and making random changes is working.

13. roadcaptain

roadcaptain Private E-2

ok.....we give up on getting help from Major Geeks. Geeks do an excellent job on assisting with Malware problems (I think you guys are the best at that). I could have found links to get general info about LAN's and in fact did.
    We have gotten the LAN to where it is useable but still has a couple of bugs. We did this by randomly making changes to the settings without knowing what we are doing.
    I really expected more but maybe LAN's are not your field of expertise.

Thanks anyway guys,
    Roadcaptain

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds