Bad Flash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by annenap, Feb 13, 2008.

1. annenap

annenap Private E-2

I think I am just screwed, but maybe someone can help:

I am working on an Acer Travelmate 4020 (not much on the net about these). I went to update the BIOS and the flash went bad. Now I feel responsible to my customer for the laptop, even though I think it's really a case of horrible support/documentation by Acer and the machine was in a bad way when I got it.

Since the flash went bad, the machine gets power, but there is no video and no beeps. I hooked it up to another monitor to be sure it wasn't the LCD - it's not. I was trying to purchase a new BIOS Chip for it, but had NO luck finding the *&^$! thing on the MB (I even have the service manual). I contacted the guy I wanted to purchase the new BIOS Chip from and he said that it's probably soldered anyway.

So here I sit, nice machine turned paperweight. I was considering replacing the whole motherboard, but I don't know what it is.

I usually never give up when working on a computer - but this thing has totally kicked my butt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I don't know what I'm going to tell my customer.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sometimes, its possible to clear, and reflash the bios, by disconnecting the battery, and pressing the power button to drain the laptop, leaving battery disconnected for 24 hours, then reconnecting battery.
    As you said the bios chip is probably soldered, and removal/replacement not an option.
    If this does not reset the bios , then you could try reflashing it.
    As you know laptops are more difficult than desktops, and easier to make into paperweights.

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I know that acer do a crisis repair, but I cannot find my old reference to it, where the boot block is replaced, if a floppy drive is attatched via usb, with the bios flash ready.
    Sorry , I cannot remember more, but I only touched on laptops, a long while ago.
    But as I remember, it depends if you have enabled usb in the boot sequence.
    I could not find it looking around acers sites.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds