Error 633

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Reds43, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Reds43

Reds43 Private E-2

I recently had to reinstall windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop. I couldn't find the drivers disk that came with it, so I had to find what I could from their website. Everything seems to be working fine except for the modem. When I try to connect to my ISP I get the 633 error code that the port is already in use. Under device manager I do not have a category for Ports (com and lpt), so I cannot check there.

Is there something I have forgotten to install? Maybe the wrong modem driver? Since it is a laptop, I have know idea which modem is in it and would rather not take it apart to try to find some identification on the modem, but I think I have the right driver. I don't know what else to try.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Dial-up modem, or broadband?

3. Reds43

Reds43 Private E-2

Sorry, should have mentioned dial up.

I installed the ISP software before the modem driver. I only realized that the driver hadn't been reinstalled when the ISP software only gave me a broadband option. Could this be the problem? Although, I changed to the dial up selection in the ISP software.

Sorry if I'm not to clear here, I am sort of a novice.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds