Dual boot no internet connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jukeboxmusic, Feb 13, 2008.

1. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

I just installed Vista on my PC and i have it dual booting with XP. I'm using XP at the moment to get on the internet but when Vista is on i can't get on the internet it says limited or no connectivity. I've tried the Windows repair options and they didn't work.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Poltergiest

Poltergiest Private E-2

have you made sure that you configured vista with all the right properties and such to access the internet?

3. mikkh

mikkh Private First Class

Are you sure it's found the driver? Do you have a network card entry in device manager? Are you even using a network card - perhaps it's connected via USB

The limited or no connectivity could apply to a 1394 IEEE card (firewire) because it hasn't picked your network card up at all and thinks you're using that for an internet connection

4. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

Like what? I've had Vista on this computer before and its just been a case of plugging the ethernet cable in and it works.

Maybe because im dual booting the ips are clashing i duno.

5. mikkh

No, that doesn't apply in dual booting, you're either using one or the other OS, not both, so the IP addresses can't clash

6. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

Click

Thats what i'm getting on Vista.

7. mikkh

Pretty picture, but it proves nothing and doesn't help

Can you confirm in device manager that Vista actually knows you have a network card first? then perhaps we can get onto solving the problem

Did you try typing
    in the run box?

Press the windows key + R, then type CMD first. In the box that pops up, type in ipconfig and press return - what does it say ?

8. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

I've tried that, it comes up nothing. So i changed the ip address to the one on XP, and then another free one and it still didn't work.

I think its an actual problem connecting to my router, as my brother is on the same network and his comes up as NETWORK (the network name) not unidentified network.

9. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

Anyone got any ideas.

10. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

Oh yeah sorry it the network card does show up in device manager.

11. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

I got it working! I installed an update for my bios.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds