Monitor not working?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LauraR, Feb 13, 2008.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

All of the sudden, the monitor on my desktop isn't working. I've tested the cords and they are still plugged in.

I want to find out if it's the pc or the monitor.

How do I go about hooking the monitor up to my laptop in order to test it?

I'm assuming I need to find the software and load it?? Do I need to change the setting on the laptop or will it just pick up the signal?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

This would require that your laptop has an alternate video out. Check for a VGA port along one of the sides and connect your monitor to that.

From there, all is needed usually is to switch the laptop's output to use this monitor. For some laptops, there's is SHIFT+Function key combo that does the trick. This is usually labeled with an icon that looks like two side-by-side monitors

3. LauraR

Do I need to load the software for the monitor or will it just pick it up? That is if I got software. I have to look for it.

I have XP, btw

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Shouldn't need software. That's usually just for additional features the manufacturer may have cooked in, but it should work without.

5. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

If it has the little monitor out, you don't need any software.

What make and model laptop is it?

6. LauraR

Figured it out. Thanks guys.

Turns out, when I unplugged it completely from the desktop and power outlet and plugged it in in the other outlet to test it on my laptop, it started working. I plugged it back into the desktop and it's good.

weird:confused

We had a power outage, maybe that did something. I've never had to do that with a monitor before.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds