.NET still crashes windows explorer after clean install of xp sp2 - HELP Please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MistressRene, Feb 13, 2008.

1. MistressRene

MistressRene Private First Class

Hi!
    I crashed with windows protection errors every day, a few times a day,
    so I decided to clean reinstall my xp home sp2.
    As soon as I loaded all my xp updates, installed the virus scan and a few programs,
    I put the program in that uses .NET and BANG! crash!
    Windows protection errors again.
    I will post the error files, and maybe someone can give me some idea as to what might be the cause of this.
    I am totally flustered and very angry!

I have already removed the HP AIO Printer and drivers, as they cause problems.
    I also spoke to my ISP about the configuration of my DSL modem into "Home Network".
    I made an adjustment to the "IP Passthrough" as per
    his suggestion.
    I have got to get rid of these series of errors as I can not use this machine like that :(
    --
    This was the 1st error, then it got worse:

Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
    Event Category: Setup
    Event ID: 1020
    Date: 2/10/2008
    Time: 2:49:14 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: THEBEAST
    Description:
    Updates to the IIS metabase were aborted because IIS is either not installed or is disabled on this machine.
    To configure ASP.NET to run in IIS, please install or enable IIS and
    re-register ASP.NET using aspnet_regiis.exe /i.

Then I went to shut down and got this, along with a WER76df.dir00, which is attached:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: DrWatson
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4097
    Date: 2/10/2008
    Time: 5:45:15 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: THEBEAST
    Description:
    The application, C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE, generated an application error.
    The error occurred on 02/10/2008 @ 17:45:15.515
    The exception generated was c0000005 at address 0332CEB0 (<nosymbols>)
    =======
    I am also attaching an iss log, as I shouldn't have one of those on xp home, so I'm told! 2 logs combined - (manifest_&_iss-log.txt)

If anyone can help me I would be extremely grateful!

a BIG TIA!

Attached Files:

2. Lollyde

Lollyde Private E-2

I had a very similar problem last week with the .NET framework and I thought I'd share Microsoft's solution with you to see if it can fix your problem, it fixed mine very easily. I has corrupted .NET files and this fixed it:

Step 1: Remove .Net Framework by using following tool

=========================================

1. Please download the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool from the following link:

http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

2. Unzip the file and then double-click on the cleanup_tool.exe file to run the tool.

3. Then click “OK”, click “Yes”, choose “.Net Framework – All Versions” and click “Cleanup Now” to remove it completely.

Step 2: Reinstall .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package and the updates for it

==========================================================

1. Please download the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package from the following link and save it to the Desktop.

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (x86)
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/8/c/08c19fa4-4c4f-4ffb-9d6c-150906578c9e/NetFx20SP1_x86.exe

2. When the File download window appears, please click the Save button, and follow the directions to save it to the Desktop. After downloading the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 setup file and the updates on your Desktop, please double-click the files to manually install them one by one.

I then re-installed all other .NET framework updates with no problem.

This was the fix for my Win XP Home computer, I think you said that is what you have to. If not then just use the removal tool and download the .NET programs through Windows Update one by one, not all together, starting with 2.0.

I hope this will fix your issue too!
    Lauren

3. MistressRene

MistressRene Private First Class

Hi Lauren,
    I have that file on my machine already, but I haven't used it as of yet.
    I am trying elimination and isolation 1st.
    I deleted my HP AIO printer, as I read somewhere that they can cause major problems.
    I have also downloaded a program called Shexview.
    It's suppose to let you remove all non Microsoft softwares from the shell.

I am going to run the programs that seem to aggravate the computer into throwing
    the protection errors to see if I can find the problem/s.
    If I don't get an error I will add 1 shell back at a time.
    This is going to take a lonnnng time :(
    Thanks for your feedback. I will try that next :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds