Router and connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmsee, Feb 15, 2008.

1. dmsee

dmsee Private E-2

I am currently with bellsouth with no modem just fiber line.
    I have belkin router right now and it works good. Under network connections I do have Bellsouth WAN Miniport(PPOE) and then I have Local Area Connection which is enabled. The bellsouth one is disconnected. I am trying to install a new router and I have to enable bellsouth connection and call the line to make my internet work with a new router. How come my current one doesnt requere that and how it gets the signal then
    Thanks

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Your router is likely doing that pppoe connection for you, the shortcut you have manually makes that connection when theres no other device in line to make it for you. What you want to do is either read the documention with your new router, and set it to ppoe with auth and your username and password for your isp. Or call the tech support for the new router and have them help you with same process. Likely your isp wont be much help other then giving you user name and password as they tend not to support third party routers and setup of such. Goodluck

3. candive

candive Corporal

Also update your router at its website.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds