Test of New Post

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stanley45, Feb 15, 2008.

1. stanley45

stanley45 Private E-2

I started a new threat 10 minutes ago, and it did not come onto the forum listing immediately. This is a test of response time.

2. stanley45

stanley45 Private E-2

While trying to find out why my router was continually resetting, I looked at the log and found one of the home computers was sending 1 to 4 times every 5 seconds, a UDP message to address 255.255.255.255 from an address not on the intranet - nothing even near the intranet (192.168.x.y). Digging through the internet for that address, I found a Cisco webpage that explained that if a router (they were talking about theirs, but I'm analogizing to mine) gets a command it doesn't understand, it can interpret it as a request to this address.

So, maybe this computer is trying to give commands to the home router. Home router problems are related to the use of default passwords, which I do not use. The request to the router is therefore denied every time. However, are any getting through somehow? I don't know. I want to find the source of them on the home computer issuing them. (I know which one by turning them off one by one.)

I have done all the steps for Malware removal listed on your lead-in page, and they have not affected this in the slightest. Attached are some logs from this process.

Trying to workaround a problem with posting.

3. stanley45

stanley45 Private E-2

Finally getting my stuff posted - router attack!

Here are the system logs. Had to zip them together - the forum is really fighting me.

Attached Files:

4. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

The 255.255.255.255 request is normal. Basically that is your routers dhcp working the way it is supposed to work as machines attempt to attach to your network. Basically a new machine coming in will have no ip and it doesn’t know where the dhcp server is so it broadcasts it’s request to the whole network – or 255.255..255.255.

This also happens as systems have to renew their IP. So if your router is having issues – you’ll see more and more of it.

Could be a hundred reason why the router my reset – but usually it something agitated in the software. Resetting the router (generally a little button on the back that you need the end of a pen to get to) should help.

PS - You are not having posting problems. You are having a refresh problem on your end.

5. stanley45

stanley45 Private E-2

Thanks very much for the speedy reply. I am aware that 255.255.255.255 is the general broadcast IP, but I am wondering how that fits my situation. One machine only is broadcasting it, and it is doing so every few seconds, over and over. And why does it use an IP number to identify itself that has no relationship to anything on the intranet? And why is there no process on the task manager that corresponds to the incessant UDP broadcasting? And why does the router DENY the message instead of answering it, if it is a legitimate request?

I don't know what is causing the router reset, but I would like to make absolutely sure that the incessant UDP message from one computer is not a contributing factor.

I'm sorry for my ignorance of how to post here. Thank you for overlooking that. I don't even know what a refresh problem is?

Once again, I really appreciate your taking the time to look at this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds