USB thumb drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dlb, Feb 15, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I have a 2gb thumb drive about 1 year old. It works great. But on most Vista PCs, when I first plug it in to a USB port, Vista says "Unable to install device drivers" after a minute or two. So I'll simply move it to a different USB port and it works fine. It always works on the first try on WinXP and Win2000 computers, the problem only seems to happen on Vista and only on the first plug in. It doesn't matter which PC make or model, or which USB port; if it's Vista, I'll have to try twice. I've come accept it as fact. But is it a fact? Has anyone else experienced this? Should I back it up and reformat it? And if so, what's the best way to format a 2gb thumb drive?
    Thanks.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Well, I think I'd format it with the Vista computer, since that's the one having a problem with the thumb drive. I believe the procedure would be the same as with Win XP. So, in Vista, open Computer, right click on the thumb drive and select Format. Whether you format as FAT, FAT32, or NTFS is not a critical point here, but I think I'd choose FAT32.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah, it's FAT32 now. It was formatted that way when I bought it. It's weird.... I've used it on dozens of different PCs, and I have to plug it in twice on ALL Vista computers... :confused Freekin' Vista.....

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

What brand is it? I have a PNY and a Kingston flash drive and they both work OK on my Vista Notebook PC. You might visit the manufacturer's website and see whether they have any info on this issue.

Did you try re-formatting it on a Vista machine?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds