help witrh mother board issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by earlwhite05, Feb 16, 2008.

1. earlwhite05

earlwhite05 Private First Class

ok i have a mew am mother boardand im still trying to install my graphics card that i got witch is pci compatible,i have been told that in
    order to in stall this card i have to disable the on board graphics controllerwell my bios dosent give me that option to do that but to the right of the screen it says i can,but the only options i get are 1mb&521k,but when i run the boot dionostics it says that the video bios is shaddowed,is their any way to un shaddow the video bios??? or a program that i can get to do it???

n-e info will be helpfull please........thanks

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

It would be helpful if you stated the make and model for both the motherboard and graphics card.

Meanwhile changing between onboard and plugged in graphics is automatic in many BIOS. Have you tried actually plugging yours in? You won't do any harm if you do - it will either work or it won't.

If your card is genuinely PCI you may need the shadow RAM.

3. earlwhite05

ok the mother board is .....asus mew-am
    hp/compaq name..mercury
    mother board suplyer ...asus
    bios is phoenixbios
    core version 4.06
    bios version 2.10

the card is a geforce fx5500 256mb ddr pci card
    nvidia.
    now in the bios where the video option is their is only the option to change from 1mb to 512kb to the right of the screen it says select dis able to turn off the on board video....their in lies the problem the options dont give me that choice to do that....when i run the bootdiagnos it says the video bios has been shadowed.when i plug the card int the pci slot and reboot the mother board beeps 1long 2 short.and acc to the beep codes that says it has a conflict with the on board video.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The motherboard should have a header to clear the BIOS and to reset it to factory defaults. It is usually located near the battery, and lableled CLR_CMOS or maybe RTC_1; check the motherboard manual. It will be 3 pins, and usually pins 1 and 2 will have a little plastic jumper on it, and you'll need to move the jumper to pins 2 and 3. Leave it there for maybe 30 seconds or so (be sure the power cord is unplugged BEFORE you even open the case!). Then move it back. Be sure to have the PCI video card installed when doing this. If you can't find the header, removing the battery for a minute or two will usually work also, just remember how to put it back in. When you plug the power cord back in, be sure the monitor video cable is plugged into the PCI video card and not the on-board video port. Then power up. You should get a message like "Invalid CMOS values. Defaults have been used. Press F1 to continue, press Del to enter Setup." You'll want to enter the setup/BIOS at this point. You'll need to set the date and time, the boot order, and whatever else is needed. If the video card is working at this point, it's probably best to NOT change any video settings just yet. If you are still having troubles, a visit to the PC/motherboard maker's web site may be necessary to see if there is a known issue with PCI video upgrades. You may need to download a BIOS update to flash the current BIOS to get the video card to work correctly.

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

First , try--select default setup (F9 usually, then F10, then yes/enter, on restart go back into bios,
    Then see if the option is there when you see the same message on the right screen, and click on the drop down, to get the options.

6. earlwhite05

ok, their is no jumper on the board ne ware and ive been to the site and its not too user frendly for me,ive been to hp and they said to disable it threw the windows device manager and ive been their and dune that and still nothing:confused

7. earlwhite05

ok did the thing with the bios and still nothing.:confused

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds