Power Supply?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lukes, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Lukes

Lukes Private E-2

Well I turned my comp on and I heard a screeching noise for a couple seconds and then it went away and my comp started up like normal. After awhile I started to smell what seemed to be an electrical burning smell, and when I stuck my nose up to the power supply exhaust fan I could smell it was coming from there. I turned off the comp and started it again and heard that screeching noise coming from my power supply. Is this a sign that it's starting to go out? If so, is there a way to fix it or is it better just to get a new one? Thanks for any info!

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

AAAAHHHHH!!!!! If it's screeching, and smells like it's burning, TURN IT OFF AND LEAVE IT OFF until you get a new replacement part. What if it bursts into flames? What if it slams massive voltage into your motherboard and CPU? Turn it off, unplug it from the wall and from the motherboard, and buy a new power supply. You can get a decent one at any PC store for under $50... probably under $40....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds