Want to install old hard drive on new computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by indt420, Feb 17, 2008.

1. indt420

indt420 Private E-2

Ok I have a new computer with a amd sempron processer 1.8 ghz 1 g ram with a 37 gig samsung sp0411n hard drive and i would like to install an old hard drive with all my music on it. It is a diamondmax plus 45 20.4 gig from 2000 I was wondering if it is possible to do so and if it needs to be formated or can i just hook it up as slave and it'll work thank you for you help ahead of time.

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

You can hook it up as a slave, no problem, and from there delete the files you no longer need.

Just keep in mind, if the system hard drive on the new machine is PATA, make sure it is set to master with slave present, and set the old drive as slave (or master on its own channel)

If the system hard drive is SATA, set the old hard drive to master on its own channel.

In both cases, you may have to enter the BIOS and make sure the system drive is set to the first hard drive in the boot order. Enjoy!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds