Switching hard drives in a laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mimsy, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

My little laptop, by virtue of being little and old, has a 20GB hard drive. The Guy's non-working and discarded laptop, whose motherboard decided to die on us, has a working 60GB hard drive. Naturally, I am happy about a free upgrade, and make grand plans to move the 60GB drive into my little laptop. I ran into a problem.

The 60GB drive sits in a metal sled of sorts, while the 20GB one did not. The 20GB drive has a cover that looks exactly like the material ESD bags are made of, over the under-side, the side that lays against the laptop case. The 60GB drive does not have such a cover, it just has a bare PCB. I am not thrilled about the idea of the PCB rubbing and/or resting against the actual case of the little laptop. It has occurred to me that I can take scissors to an empty and unused ESD bag and cut out a piece of the right size, and place it between the drive and the case, however I'm not sure if more is needed. What are your thoughts, major geeks?

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

The black plastic sides of the hard drive should protrude further out than any of the contacts on the PCB so they aren't touching anything,that is assuming the area adjacent to the hard drive is flat?Therefore I wouldn't bother with the ESD bag.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds