No Print Screen Button!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SkayCD, Feb 17, 2008.

1. SkayCD

SkayCD Private E-2

Hello :wave, it's me again with another problem. Not sure if this is the place for this but since it's about my keyboard, i think that means hardware. So here goes me showing my ignorance again!!! rolleyes

Want to know how to print screen shot but when I read what the Major Geek wrote I didn't find that button (Prt Scr) that he was talking about.

I do have something that is called Prt Scr Sys Rg, is this suppose to be the same thing? :confused

When I click on that I don't see anything happening!! Shouldn't something pop up to ask where I want to save this to if the thing is working?:confused

I'm using a wireless Logitech keyboard...C E 0682, if you need more info then that you will have to tell me what to look for please.

Appreciate any help you can give me on this, thanks.
    [/font] :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Yes, press that key to capture a screen print.
    How do you click on a key on the keyboard? :confused

After you've pressed the Prt Scr key, open Paint and Paste the captured image into Paint. Then, you can edit, save, etc.

Pressing the Prt Scr key alone captures your entire display, i.e. what you see on your monitor. To capture just an open application that may opened in a window smaller than full screen, use Alt/Prt Scr.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Here's how I take screen shots using the Prt Scr button:
    Since using this method will only capture the topmost open window, be sure that what you want to capture is open on top of all other windows when you hit Alt + PrtScr. I first open Paint and then minimize it, then I bring what I want to capture to the top. I move the mouse pointer to the title bar, I left click once to be sure it's "selected" and press Alt + PrtScr. Then I restore (or 'un-minimize') Paint. I move the mouse pointer into the area in Paint where you'd normally start drawing. Then I press Ctrl + V to paste the captured image into Paint; just remember "V for view". You can then circle things or underline things or edit it how you want, then I usually select Save As... and I choose .PNG. I choose PNG because they tend to be much smaller files without losing any detail or color information.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  4. SkayCD

SkayCD Private E-2

Ok you got me...I said click when I should have said press!!:D

If you didn't understand the first time....nothing happens when I press that key...either by it's self or using alt/prt scr. Nothing shows to copy and paste. There is no little or big window....maybe it's my keyboard that has a problem or it's set up.

5. SkayCD

SkayCD Private E-2

Ok! :celebrate

I used paint and copy and pasted the picture but didn't have to use the key board button! :confused Why that was I don't know!

Thanks so very much for your help and for being so very nice. You folks are great. :grouphug.

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I sense a bit of confusion still present. So, let's reiterate a couple of points.

Pressing the Prt Scr key or alt/Prt Scr does not cause any box or message to popup. So, it seems to do nothing. But, in fact, it is taking a screen shot and putting it into the clipboard (the temporary memory that holds last key strokes for such techniques as Copy/Paste or Cut/Paste).

You don't see the result until you paste into Paint or another image editor.

7. SkayCD

SkayCD Private E-2

Yes thank you, doing some test with this a few times I finally see what you are saying...the key does work. :)

I really appreciate all the help and patience you have all had here with me. It must have been frustrating, sorry for that. But you have finally pounded some sense into this old gray head headed lady! LOL

You all deserve stars but I don't see them here so this will have to suffice.....:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds