Can not access in safe mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripseven, Feb 18, 2008.

1. tripseven

tripseven Private First Class

Recently my PC has been acting peculiar. I ran trend micro house call and sure enough, had a couple of trojans. After cleaning I ran windows doctor. Now I cannot access the system in safe mode. I press F8 and it goes straight to windows. Another interesting problem is that I cannot access the system event viewer. Did windows doctor do this?
    Thanks for any help offered.

BD

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

if you have xp click start then run and type msconfig

goto BOOT.INI tick /safeboot click apply restart computer it should go in to safe mode...

To return to normal go the others away around.....

3. tripseven

Thanks, I should have known that(duh). Any thoughts on why I cannot access system event viewer?

4. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

Did it gave you an error when you try to access system event or nothing happen ???

5. tripseven

I went into bios and discovered an error in the settings. That fixed the safe mode problem. When trying to access system in event viewer I get the error message "Unable to complete the operation "system". The interface is unknown."

6. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

I found this.....

a. Click "start" => click "run" => enter "services.msc"

b. Set the start type of "Event log" to disabled.

c. Restart the computer. Move the event files (SysEvent.evt, AppEvent.evt
    and SecEvent.evt to another Place). They are located in the
    C:\windows\system32\config

d. Change the "Event log" to automatically again and restart computer and
    check how things go.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds