toshbia password reset HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cutiebum, Feb 18, 2008.

1. cutiebum

cutiebum Private E-2

My kids have been on my laptop toshiba 1800 and now its got a password and my daughter said it was 123456 and i tried it 10 times and I call Toshiba but they are closed today for a holiday.
    I tried taking my cmos battery out and waiting and puting it back in but it still has the password promt!? how long does it have to stay out to reset??
    Toshiba is closed today of course!! HELP :cry

2. cutiebum

cutiebum Private E-2

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If this is a 'power-on-password', meaning it comes up right after powering on (versus a Windows login password) you may be completely out of luck. Unless you can prove to Toshiba that you are the legitimate rightful owner of the laptop, they probably will not help you. Even if you can prove it, they will probably tell you that a new motherboard is needed. I have had a bit of experience with these passwords, and I have NEVER been able to reset one, hack/crack one, or had any factory/tech support do anything other than tell me to get a new motherboard. I did bypass one ONCE on a really old Toshiba Tecra Pentium I laptop by using a home-made device that you'd stick into the parallel port before powering on, and it skip the password and boot to the floppy where a CMOS wiping program would wipe out the BIOS settings. But this was like 10 years ago. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth. :( :cry I have dealt with these on many different brands including Dell, Toshiba, IBM, and the result is always the same: the laptop ends up being gutted for parts. Sorry. I wish you the best of luck. Maybe she skipped a number when typing 123456 or hit the five twice instead of 5 then 6, or maybe she hit 7 instead of six.... I don't know..... good luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds