Motherboard Temp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shimikiah, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Shimikiah

Shimikiah Private E-2

I just built my new computer with the following:

Asus M2V-MX SE Mobo
    AMD Athlon x2 dual core 4200+ (2.2ghz)
    Geforce 6600 256 mb
    SoundBlaster Audigy SE
    Corsair XMS DDR2 800 2gb (2x1gb) PC6400

My cpu temps idle in the mid to upper thirties and stay in mid to upper forties while playing games. There is no problem here, right? My question is concerning the motherboard temp. When I was playing earlier an alarm went off telling me that the mobo temp was up to 46 degrees which was over the limit. What is a safe temp for the motherboard? The case I have is a Ultra Microfly, which has a 120mm fan in the back and an 80 mm in the front, not to mention the psu fan which sits right over the gpu. I even had the top of the case off at the time to allow more heat to escape. Bah!

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

For reference, my mobo temp is 30C. If it hasnt been cleaned in a while, blow out the heatsink on the motherboard's northbridge (be a little metal block w/ fins on it) Make sure your case is tidy so clear out the dust, untangle and consolidate your cables etc...just try to maximize airflow. A can of compressed air is extremely helpful when cleaning out your PC

PS im an Andrew too, right on man :D Welcome to the site

3. Shimikiah

Shimikiah Private E-2

Well its a brand new case and all and its only been running a week now, so dust is not problem. I bundled the cables and took the sides off of the case and it runs a few degrees cooler and will generally stabilize. I really doubt the motherboard's temp reading is correct, honestly. I have a temperature sensor built into the front of my case and I have placed the sensor in all different spots around the mobo and the reading is always at least 5 below what I get from the hardware sensor. I'm planning on buying a different motherboard anyway because my current ASUS M2V MX SE won't recognize my 8600 gt no matter what I do. I found several others with teh same issue, and tech support is no help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds