Problem with new barebones

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wsmitty, Feb 19, 2008.

1. wsmitty

wsmitty Private E-2

I just purchased:

PCChips A13G+ GeForce6100 Socket AM2 Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Socket AM2 CPU
    Ultra 1024MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz

I wanted to transfer my hard drive and cd burner into the new barebone. However, when I try to start it up, I get the blue screen of death and auto reboots. It won't even boot in safe mode. However, it will boot from a CD such as 'Windows XP' cd or 'UBCD for Windows'

I believe it is a driver issue. If I put the hard drive back in my old machine it works fine.

I am also gonna change so that the blue screen stays and doesn't reboot through windows. Is there something that I can do in advance to prepare for the switch? Do i install the drivers in the old machine first or delete the drivers? Or am I out of luck and have to reformat the hard drive (really don't want to do) just reformmated within the past couple of months.

2. wsmitty

wsmitty Private E-2

UPDATE: The blue screen says that 'a problem has been detected......

Check for viruses on you computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check you hard drive to make sue it is properly configured and terminated. Run chkdsk /f to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
    *** STOP: 0x0000007B (....................................................)

Again, it works fine in my older computer. What can I do besides reformat?

Looks like it has to do with ide controller drivers or something which I have a CD for with the new motherboard. But can't install them if windows won't even start. It won't even boot up in safe mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

3. N5638J

N5638J Guest

You will have to reinstall windows for the new PC. a hard drive with XP on it from another PC will not work in another PC without a fresh install of windows.

4. wsmitty

wsmitty Private E-2

Man, I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds