Laptop overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by karenr, Feb 20, 2008.

1. karenr

karenr Private E-2

Hi,

I have a Gateway laptop that has an overheating problem. I'm monitoring it with a utility called HD Tune (not sure how reliable that is), and at startup it's about 77 degrees, after a few minutes it's 87, and after a few hours it's around 100. Maximum temp for this machine says 113.

When it gets too hot, like when I'm running CPU-intensive applications like Spybot or watching a video, the system shuts down.

The other diagnostics in HD Tune all look okay. Maybe I just need the fan cleaned out? I'd like to see if there's anything I can do first before bringing it in for repair.

Thanks,
    Karen

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Welcome to MGs

first some basics how warm is it where you use the laptop( in your post you say 77 deg) thats warm and if you have no circulation it will get warmer.

if you have a piece of marble (I.E a chopping board) sitting the laptop on that will help also if you raise the back of it with a book just under the back edge that will allow a better circulation and should help but the biggest problem is the ambient temp and high CPU usage i am at a loss to give any better suggestions other than move to a cooler environment.

3. karenr

karenr Private E-2

Thanks! - I keep the house pretty warm, but I'll try your suggestions.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Are you measuring the temps in Celcius or Farenheight? Cleaning out the heatsinks would be a good start. With the computer off, use some canned air to clear the dust and such out. Use a pen or something to keep the fan from turning while you blow it out.

Also, make sure the fan is spinning when the laptop is at the higher temps.

E

5. karenr

karenr Private E-2

Thanks - is that something that someone who's never opened up a computer herself could do? :eek:

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You should be able to clean it out fairly well without taking it apart. Look for the vents in the bottom/side of the computer. It should have one vent for an intake, one for an exhaust. Use canned air to blow into the intake vent (while holding the fan still).

It is easy, and the cost is minimal.

E

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

If you end up needing parts, check out http://www.mundocorp.com/

Bazza

8. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

silly suggestion, but if your fan is on the bottom of the laptop, you should make sure it does have good air flow, and not sitting on your lap.

9. karenr

karenr Private E-2

Thanks everyone! I gave it better air circulation, and blew air into the vent which produced some dust, not a lot, but it's actually running cooler now! Surprising how much of a difference that made!

10. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

i was gonna mention that you might not want to blow into the vent, but use a good vacuum to suck any dust out. cat/dog hair is a good culprit also.

11. Stunners

Stunners Private E-2

ok i'm having the same problem as karenr but i know about the ventilation deal. i haven't done the canned air or vacuum thing, but i'm living in thailand and dont have any idea where i can get canned air and they dont believe in vacuums here! running everest, my computer has been hitting 88C and i KNOW that's not good.
    i have to keep a floor fan on it to keep it cool.
    i am 99% sure that it's now causing problems with my programs. windows wont shut down and any other progs wont start after it starts getting warm. (which can be after 5 minutes)
    i'm also now getting a message about windows closing the Indexing service filter daemon which i think is related to heat damage but i'm not certain.
    i need help because i think my computer is self destructing!
    thanks!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds