Sata

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Graikos, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Graikos

Graikos Private E-2

Hello Everyone,

Quick question on which internal sata drive would be best for me. I have done alot of reading and I am leaning toward a Western Digital 750GB drive. I believe I can only run up to 1.5Gp/s. Is there anything I should take into consideration before going further on this? Also, I am not commited to WD. So any help on this would be great. I am going to use this to edit video. Vacation videos mostly. I have a couple of my family's wedding videos to do also. So I believe in this case, the bigger the better. Thanks for any help.

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Do you have a link to the particular drive you are thinking about getting? As far as brands, people like different ones. I look for the largest cache memory and the best warranty. I would also get a SATA2 drive for use down the road.

E

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

i agree with fred, you can get a SATA2 and set the jumper for 1.5gb/s

4. Graikos

Graikos Private E-2

here is the Newegg link I was looking at.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...10150014+1035915133+4802+1035424340&name=32MB

Maxtor seems to have a pretty good 750GB drive. But who knows.
    Just for some backround I looked up the time when I built this computer. It was Dec 2003. I used a Gigabyte GA-7nnxp Motherboard. To be honest, I know it is old but it still works great and I just can't pull the trigger on upgrading the whole system yet. I figured I would upgrade from one to two gigs of ram and get a new Sata drive.

Someday I guess I will upgrade my motherboard since I am limited without sse and such, But thats a whole nother ballgame :)

I do appreciate the replies though.
    Thank You

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Old 'puters still work! Your link only shows Seagate and Samsung drives though...

E

6. Graikos

Graikos Private E-2

Yes I know but those are the only 32MB cache drives that they had listed. I like Newegg because I have always had good luck with them and am hesitant to change. If you know of a better place to look, please by all means let me know.

Thanks though Fred_G. I like my old puter :)
    I think I may pull the trigger this afternoon on a new one. I know to look for the highest cache and a good warranty. I actually am having a bit of a hard time trying to locate a sata2 drive.

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I usually shop at the 'Egg myself.

E

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds