disk drive moved from 1 computer to another

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gman48, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Gman48

Gman48 Private E-2

My other computers boot drive crashed and now I need to get data off the second drive. The computer I have it in now xp pro just different xp setup. The Bios sees the drive as does this machine but it will not let me assign a drive letter. The drive is good based on the software test I ran, spinrite.
    How do I get the data from this drive?
    Thanks for any help.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'm a bit confused.... you have two PCs... we'll say PC1 and PC2. PC1 had two hard drives in it and the main boot drive (drive C: ) has crashed. You want the data from the 2nd hard drive that was in PC1, correct? You have moved the 2nd drive from PC1 into PC2, again as a 2nd drive, correct? There should be no need to assign a drive letter to it. If it's an IDE drive, and the jumper is set correctly, Windows should pick it up and automatically assign a drive letter. Unless there's a file system issue, or the jumper is wrong, it should come up. You can try going into Computer Management and initializing the disk, but it should already be initialized if it's got data on it. Right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management. Then right click on the bold print for the drive you want to access and select Initialize. In the screenshot below, you'd right click where I've circled the drive in red... except it won't be Disk 0.... It'll be Disk 1 or Disk 2...

Attached Files:

3. Gman48

Gman48 Private E-2

You have it right. The drive jumper is on slave and the cable is the slave connection. When I tried the right click on my computer it shows disk 0 dynamic then unreadable and will not let me click on it.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Since you have dynamic drives set on your working pc (is this for network reasons?)Instead of choosing 'manage' on your right click choose

'map network drive'

look on your running pc and see if you can find the data drive.

Don't tick 'reconnect at logon' or the pesky thing will be forever looking for the drive in future.

5. Gman48

Gman48 Private E-2

I looked into map network drive and it shows nothing but shared files. I have no idea why it is a network drive. It did work ok on the other computer. If I make it into a basic drive won't the data be lost?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds