Motherboard Dying? Or Maybe a backdoor has been Opened.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Doomsayer, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

About 3-4 years ago I got this computer I have (i have no idea what kind it is suffice to say that my father built it for me and my brother as a present for Christmas when i was either 12 or 13) anyway, 3-4 years ago my brother somehow got it bad infected with a virus or something I have no idea, long story short it infected the "bios" and other things as well, completely screwed us, dad fixed it to the best of his ability (he's pretty good with computers) but he doesn't have time or money to help me with my current issue which i believe is connected to the crash those years ago.

Whenever I try to watch flash animations or a video on youtube it freezes and I have to restart it. I thought it might just be the program (adobe, java, ect) so I uninstalled and re-downloaded a different version and still the same thing would happen each time I tried to watch videos. On top of that my screen flashes and stays purplish pink every now and then and I thought it was my video card, but my dads replaced that 6 times already. They last maybe 1-4 months tops. So I dont know what it is.

Second whenever I try to listen to music on my computer it plays from 2 seconds til 3 minutes and then freezes, its random in the length it plays before freezing. I talked to a friend I have and he said that it just might be the program (windows media 9 is what I was using) so I downloaded the new 11 and still no change except for the fact that it doesn't make this skipping sound while freezing (no disk in drive just downloaded to computer) so he recommended that I uninstall windows media. Well I tried and it said that I couldn't because it was currently being used. But It wasn't. This made my buddy wonder and he said i might have a backdoor that was opened to my computer and that the only way to get rid of it was to delete the infected area. Well needless to say nothing I have tried works. I scan the crap out of my computer everyday but I never find anything. I looked online for similar problems and I found only ONE case similar to mine, it ended up that the motherboard had died on him. I don't know if that is the case for me or not as I don't know anything really about my computer at all :/ I couldn't tell you its processor its video card or sound card, what kind of motherboard it has (i think soyo i dunno) I really don't know at all. I need to know if anyone might know for sure or has had a similar problem, as of now I am pressed for cash, I don't have a job and can't get hired so I can't take it to get repaired or buy new parts (soon I hope to get hired it depends on if I can get my old employers to quite slandering my name around town) Any help is appriciated as I just want to take a sledge hammer to my computer right now :mad: its got me so frustrated.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Well, for starters, install Everest which will show what hardware you have. What I'd worry more about is continually replacing the video card which is really weird as that should never happen, how strong is your power supply? a BIOS virus is extremely rare and you can reflash it once you find out what hardware you have. I doubt it's a backdoor, check task manager and kill any process related to WMP.

3. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

I'll download it right now. I honestly don't really know anything at all about my power supply nor where it would be located at. :/ Looked for wmp in task manager and there were no processes running to it. Ill reedit post with hardware info after I have installed Everest.

Ok I found out what kind of motherboard I have and Ill go ahead and list.

Motherboard: Soyo KT400 DRAGON Ultra Platinum Edition

BIOS Type: Award
    Award BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG

Current Power Source: AC Line

Battery Status: No Battery

Couldnt find anything on sound card or video card or processor :/

but i hope that listing this may help. If i need to find out more please tell me.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

As stated above, BIOS viruses are very, very rare. I've been working with PCs for about 12 years and I have NEVER seen a BIOS virus or talked to anyone that had one. So that is probably not the issue. Also, as stated above, flashing the BIOS once you know what make and model the motherboard is would be the best and easiest way to fix any possible BIOS issues. When auggie said to look for WMP in the task manager, that doesn't mean to look for "WMP". It means look for Windows Media Player. If you're going thru 6 video cards in 4 years, something is definitely wrong, and it's probably the power supply, but it could be the motherboard too. Anyway, here's the link to your motherboard drivers and BIOS. I'd download all the drivers for your version of Windows and install them to be sure you have the latest drivers. Check the dates posted and download only the newer ones. Your motherboard is a bit old so the manufacturer hasn't released any updated drivers since 2004 or so. Then find out exactly what steps are need to update your BIOS, and download the newest from the link below and install it. You should run Everest again, go to Devices > Physical Devices and look for your video card again and post the info. It may be listed as VGA Controller, or Display Adapter.... good luck, and keep us posted :major
    Soyo SY-KT400 Dragon Ultra Platinum Edition http://www.soyo.com/content/Downloads/155/&c=35&p=138&l=English

5. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

Ok this is what I found for the Video Card

ATI Radeon 9700 Video Adapter
    ATI Radeon 9700 - Secondary Video Adapter

Im going to the link provided now (thank you btw)

I also know what he meant by WMP I just didn't really state it clearly I suppose :) curse the player, I also Downloaded and installed CC Cleaner (due to constant nagging of my grandmother @_@) She wouldn't let off that it was a miracle program that could fix me, needless to say I had it before and yes indeed it is nice. But far from a miracle fixer heheh.

Im doing my best on the site but its a wee bit confusing. Any other piece of hardware I need to find out to help?

Another thing I have forgotten to mention, everytime I shut my computer down I have to do it via power switch on the back to kill the power. I cant use the power button to shut it down via front, it just freezes on shutting down and does not shut off, i thought it was just a bit of a wait but I waited for 3 hours and it never shut off. Just stayed with the screen saying that it was shutting down. Also whenever I uninstall or update and it wants to restart 3 times out of 5 it doesnt restart it just goes to a black screen and refuses to do anything. I then have to manually restart it via restart button (it works thankfully) Another thing, 3 times out of 5 when I start the computer it freezes on the welcome screen and I will have to restart it up to 3 times to get it to log on. I have my speakers turned off so that I wont be frozen because of sound. Yes the littlest sound made on a computer freezes me, even the smallest animation freezes me : /

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  6. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

After using the link and downloading the update my computer is now running extremely slow. When I start up now after it freezes it shows just my background for about 10 minutes and then I have to wait almost 15 min before I can do anything when all my desktop is back to normal. :/ Something fishy has happened and now alot of my programs refuse to operate, instead they wont respond. I would have just edited this into my last post but the option to do so had "vanished"

7. ynot

ynot Private First Class

I am totally not quailified to help you Doomsayer but i noticed in your second post : BATTERY STATUS : NO BATTERY. I think somebody needs to check that out for you.
    Augiedoggie and dlb i am sorry if i am sticking my nose in and am wrong. Please feel free to tell me off.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds