Optical cleaner kits, any good?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by augiedoggie, Feb 22, 2008.

1. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

OK, I've been recently getting 'power calibration errors' when trying to burn anything. I have several programs like Nero, ImgBurn etc. and I keep making coasters, DVD's used to work and now they don't either. So after googling the error, I've come to the conclusion that the lasers might be covered with nicotine, so do these cleaning disks work, if that's the problem?

I've already sprayed compressed gas in there and also tried various disks to write to, though disks can still be read properly and load fine. It's only 2.5 years old. Maybe time to replace this $120 ATT writer with a $50 new one? Opinions please, as I'd rather not buy a new one for this old rig , but if I have to, so be it. Thanks all.

2. Doomsayer

Doomsayer Private E-2

Sounds like it would be better to replace it :/ my grandma Had the same kinda problem (sounds very similar) she had to replace hers (rather my dad replaced it for her) She had to get it done twice over the span of 6 years.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I have had good luck with a CD/DVD drive cleaning disk. I had a few CD drives that would not install WinXP until I cleaned them, then they worked great. I am not sure about the disk burning aspect of it. :confused

Might be worth a shot. They don't cost much.

E

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds