Dial-up issues after Windows update!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ej1245, Feb 22, 2008.

1. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

Hi! I'm setting up someones pc with their Earthlink dial-up acct. It has windows 2000 and IE 5.5 on it. Got everything installed and surfing fine, he ran windows update last night and now when we connect to the net, its extremely slow (like 3 minutes to load a page!!) or not at all. I contacted earthlink support...not great. He said I was connected and to upgrade to IE 7, which I can't do cuz windows 2000 doesn't support it! I have IE 6 sp1 that I may install on it tomorrow, but I have my doubts that will fix it. I have norton disabled, no firewall, what am I missing??? :confused

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

more likely its you got hit by random malware connecting with out any sort of protection? Purhaps a visit to malware, to check that might help. Unless you had it setup before hand and just didn't mention it.

3. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

Earthlink supposedly has virus/spyware blocking built in. but I guess that is a possibility. Does the malware site have a online scan? (if I can even get to it!)

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

in our malware section, theres a guide for you to run. Try it please.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds