Wireless Router Check

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hcrawfor, Feb 22, 2008.

1. hcrawfor

hcrawfor Private First Class

How do I check to see if my wireless Linksys router is defective? After working for 3 years I can no longer connect to the internet via my wireless laptop, but I do see my neighbor's (I'm assuming) networks at very weak signal strength. Naturally, I can't access my home network (1 PC) either. When I connect my laptop via an ethernet cable through the router I see my home network and have internet access.

I have tried the reset button on the router to no avail..... and also diconnected both my cable modem and router for 2 minutes and rebooted my laptop. My PC, which is connected to the router via an ethernet cable and my Vonage telephone, which is also connected through the router via an ethernet cable both function properly. My laptop is running VISTA with 2GB RAM. Thanks, hcrawfor

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Well, it seems to me that you've done all the tests you can do, and it looks to me like the wireless has crapped out. It actually isn't that rare for a router to lose it wireless abilities after some time. The only other way to tell for sure would be to try it on a friend's connection, or get yourself one of those wifi signal locators that will tell you if you're in range and the signal strength.
    Take a look at this: http://www.mobileedge.com/items_accessories.asp?cid=7&scid=7&pid=24
    or maybe even this: http://www.metageek.net/products/wi-spy24x

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds