Hard Drive Issue ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by squiggles, Feb 23, 2008.

1. squiggles

squiggles Private E-2

Hello. I noticed recently that when I launch an application, my pc will make a "bogged down" noise.(kind of like a compact car when you turn on the ac) Also,when I am web surfing and I go to a new web page and everything is loading, it will make the same "bogged down" noise until everything has finished loading,then it will let up. I had never noticed this before. I ran all my security software to check for viruses, spyware, and the like, and everything came up clean. I also ran ccleaner to remove any redundant files, but none of that helped. I also recently did a clean install of the os. I was thinking it could be a hard drive issue. Does anyone here know what this could be ? Thanks.

2. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

By clean install, did you reformat?
    Do you have lots of programs running at startup?
    Did you do a scandisk and select the option to fix errors?

Doing a scandisk may fix any problems that is causing the noise.

I've been using a program called Tuneup Utilities for several years now. It has a registry cleaner that is superb. Whenever friends need their computer fixed, I use it and they are amazed at how well it works afterwards. Of course, I do a few other things to it.

Also run defrag.

Hope that helps.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you think the hard drive is failing, the best thing you can do is to back up anything you consider important, then find out which company made the hard drive, visit their web site, download their diagnostic tool, and run the extended/advanced tests. This will tell you (usually) how healthy the hard drive, and sometimes it will repair errors if corrupt sectors are found. Best to catch the drive before it fails and you still have a chance to back up your stuff.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds