Realtek HD Audio Cannot Start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nnbosko, Feb 23, 2008.

1. nnbosko

nnbosko Private E-2

I reinstalled Windows today, and as usual, I'm having trouble installing the drivers for my Realtek audio card. I run the driver program, and to no avail, I get the 'cannot start (code:10)' error. Any help?

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Have you also installed the UAA driver? You can search for the driver through WIndows Updates or post your OS back here and I'll take a look see for you. It is KB888111.

3. nnbosko

nnbosko Private E-2

No, no I haven't. I've only tried to install the Realtek HD Audio Drivers. I'm using Windows XP SP2.

4. nnbosko

nnbosko Private E-2

Never mind, I fixed the problem going through one of your previous posts. Thanks, musksnipe! :wave

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Cool. I was just about to send you the link and worried if it would install without trouble. I am still trying to figure out why officially, it is the UAA first then the HD audio driver, but in some instances it is the other way around.
    [​IMG]

6. hrobo78

hrobo78 Private E-2

Hi, I need help, I was looking for help here, but nothing in the posts it's working for me.
    I buy new ASROCK P4VM900 a after install windows and realtek audio drivers can't make audio working. I was looking in device manager and there isnt such thing like Microsoft UAA driver in system devices and in sounds I have just some audio and video codecs from windows and legacy codecs are empty. I was trying install hotfix for HD audio but system don't allow it for be old. So if you can help me, please.....

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Could you post what your OS is?

Is the Windows Audio service running?
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find the Windows Audio service.
    Right click on it and choose Properties.
    Make sure it is set to Automatic and Start is checked.
    BIOS sound must be enabled for on-board sound... Disabled for an add-on card
    As the PC starts, press one of these keys (here is a list by manufacturer) http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
    Or the right key will be posted on the very first screen. Tap it until you enter set-up, then look for your audio (it should be in Advanced or in Integrated Peripherals) Make sure sound is set correctly.

8. hrobo78

hrobo78 Private E-2

I got windows xp. I was looking, bios setup its ok, administrate tool it's ok, in the device manager i've got pci device unknown, but when I install realtek driver, after reebot look same can't find drivers for PCI device and when I try to put it manual, don't have it on list of drivers. I thing if I cant move wiht it, I must buy some sound card...

9. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

First download your chipset driver. It enables the motherboard hardware to be recognized and to aid in driver installs.
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/from.asp?Model=P4VM900-SATA2&s=&T=D&ID=396

This is your audio driver:
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/from.asp?Model=P4VM900-SATA2&s=&T=D&ID=397
    The UAA should be part of the installer package.

I did a test download that said would take over an hour and I have very good download speeds normally.

If you have a problem with downloading the sound driver from Asrock, this should work,
    http://majorgeeks.com/Realtek_High_Definition_Audio_for_2KXP03_d4902.html

10. hrobo78

hrobo78 Private E-2

Musksnipe, it's very courios, but these steps I done before, this is not my first computer, which I do myself, but never before got problem like this. Chipset driver it's instaled correctly, but problem is same - PCI unknown, in list of hardware don't appears realtek driver and UAA neither, in programs instaled look ok, realtek driver look instaled correctly, but when I try uninstall it, appears message "Impossible uninstall Realtek driver"
    One q.: It's possible be problem of windows? (I got W. non-official)

11. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

That's a very good possibility. You should certainly buy a real copy of XP.

Have you tried removing Realtek through Add/Remove Programs?
    If you can't then try with this app:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Revo_Uninstaller_d5706.html

Then do these steps:
    KB888111
    If you install, remove, and then re-install this update, the update is no longer listed in Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. Therefore, you cannot remove this update from your computer. To work around this problem, follow these steps.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB888111
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    4. Click Yes, and then exit Registry Editor.

Run CCleaner, both the Cleaner and Registry.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Yahoo_Toolbar_English_d4191.html

Here is the weird part, the official way is to install the UAA first and then your driver, others can't get it to work that way and reverse the install (driver first then UAA)
    The UAA is usually included in the driver install package and should install in the proper order.

Last, I suspect the unknown PCI, is audio bus that the UAA controls.

12. hrobo78

hrobo78 Private E-2

FINALLY!!! Yes musksnipe, it was problem of windows, I try older one with SP1 and it's going perfectly, thanks for all tips.

13. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

If the OS copy you just installed, is valid, you can update through Windows Updates and get it fully up to speed.
    [​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds