Laptop shuts down during formatting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rscamero92, Feb 23, 2008.

1. rscamero92

rscamero92 Private E-2

OK I have a Averatec 3700 laptop, it has pheonix recovery pro installed, this was installed at manufactor, anyways, whenever I try to reformat either using the recovery pro or xp disk The computer completely shuts off when formatting is about 1/3 of the way complete, it will not let the formatting process complete i have tried several times now and Im ready to throw the damn thing out the door. Can anyone give me some insight as to why I can not do a complete format??? Please

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The hard drive may be damaged, or the laptop may be overheating. The thing about Averatec laptops... the ones I've seen don't have easily accessible hard drives. So swapping out the drive is close to impossible for the average home user. You can download a hard drive diagnostic from the drive maker's web site; you can find out who made the drive by either checking the BIOS for the drive part number then doing a Google search for that number, or run a bootable system info utility (like you'd find on the Ultimate Boot CD which would also have the drive diagnostics). The Ultimate Boot CD is available here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ultimate_Boot_CD_d4981.html
    If the laptop is overheating, check all the vents and fans and make sure they're clean and the fans are spinning freely. Again, Averatec has made it tough for the home user to access and open the fans....
    Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds