fx5500 heat pls help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hentajus, Feb 25, 2008.

1. hentajus

hentajus Private E-2

i have a heating problem with the point-of-view fx5500 i dont know what the heat is in C is there something to measure that? what could i use? because if i put my finger on the card i cant hold it there for longer than 3 seconds it's HOT... i've overclocked it in the past but now i've decreased the core and clock speeds to normal and it's hot like hell is this normal? pls help

this card is'nt supported by my motherboard i believe... only the "galaxy" fx5500 is and i've never had a non-integrated video card before
    and when i bought it the core clock was 250 and the mem clock was 311 and i know the usual ones for this card are 260 and 400 ... now of course the speeds are as they were 250 and 311 ... i bought it from a friend of mine and he did'nt overclock it or do anything else like that and it worked for him for more than a year now and he never checked the temperature before... and i believe the fx5500 has a feature that decreases the speeds if the card gets too hot correct? as i've said i never had a non-integrated video card before... maybe i need to turn the pc off every once in a while or something? because it only gets hot in about an hour or something

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

2. hentajus

hentajus Private E-2

*correction it gets hot faster than that xD

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

What is xD?

Does the card have it's own fan? If so, have you verified the fan is working?

How many case fans do you have in your computer? Where are they located and what's their orientation (intake or exhaust)? Do you have temperature monitoring software installed, or have any way of getting a temperature reading on your system?

4. hentajus

hentajus Private E-2

yes the card has a fan but only on one side and that side is cooler than the one without a fan. And theres an exchaust fan (the one along with the PSU) and of course the processors cooler... i was thinking of installing a case fan because i can install one right next to the card. Would that help? And i do have "SpeedFan", but it only shows the cpu temperature and i have no idea what "temp2" "temp3" and "HD0" are and it only shows my cpu's RPM speed... is there any software that could show the temperature of my GPU ?

5. hentajus

hentajus Private E-2

i ment cpu coolers in the last post and i want to say that the card itself is the hottest at the very end of the card... i mean the temperature is pretty normal but the last one fifth (1/5) of the card WHEN LOOKING FROM THE BACK OF THE COMPUTER CHASIS ... so that part that is actually in about the middle of the computer is really hot

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

OK, so you have no case fans, only the CPU fan and the power supply fan, right? I suggest installing two case fans, one at front or side (that you mentioned) and one at back. The one at front or side should be installed to pull air into the case; the one on back should be oriented to blow air out the back. Take a look at your case and see whether it has openings and screw holes for case fans and determine what size fan they will accommodate. A common size is 80mm.

Regarding SpeedFan, either temp2 or temp3 is probably the CPU temperature and I believe the other one may be a reading from a general sensor on the motherboard. You can use Everest Home to help determine what those temps are, since it provides more descriptive titles of temps. Then, you could change those generic titles in SpeedFan to a title indication what they actually are.

As far as getting a temp reading on the video card itself, I believe that requires certain hardware and/or software features which you may not have. I'll leave further comments on that to someone else.

7. hentajus

hentajus Private E-2

thanks a lot for your help
    it seems i have 2 places for fans but they are both in the back side of the case and i've checked out the sizes and....... it seems that both the "places for the fans" are 7.5 centimeter ... how can that be? :D i dont think there are fans that are 75x75 mm size... are there?

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

So, the screw holes are about 7.5cm apart, right? That would be for an 80mm (80mm = 8cm) fan. The actual dimensions of the fan are about 80mm x 80mm, so the screws holes have to be a little closer together than 80mm.

I think I'd start with one case fan and see how it goes. Having holes for two fans on back and none on front is odd. Anyway, putting a fan on back should help. Make sure it's mounted so that it blows warm air out the back.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds