SoundMax Driver Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TimN, Feb 25, 2008.

1. TimN

TimN Private E-2

My SoundMax driver is not working on my ThinkPad R51. I read a post that said to reinstall the MB Chipset driver, reboot and reinstall the audio driver. This did not work for me. My sound began giving me problems two weeks ago when my DIMM card failed. I thought the problem was the card but my sound did not come back when I replaced the card. My XP OS locks up frequently (for up to 10 minutes) unless I disable the SoundMax driver. With the driver disabled, everything works except my sound. With driver enabled I also keep automatically getting Microsoft Kernel audio drivers installed that come up with error messages on device manager that there is another device installed. Any ideas?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Here's the link to your sound driver. If you scroll down the page a bit, you'll find detailed instruction on driver removal, installation, updating, and how to determine which version is currently installed. Maybe some of this info will help...
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-61604
    If you could post more detailed information about any errors you get, or if there are any errors in the Event Viewer that mention the sound or kernel audio, it may be help us determine the best course of action to take, and if the problem is only a driver issue or a Windows and driver issue....

3. TimN

TimN Private E-2

We are making some progress. I downloaded the file from Lenovo and installed it according to the directions. Now I can leave my SoundMax device enabled and not cause my system to hang. But . . . still no sound. I am attaching a file of some of the error messages I get in device manager. By the way, the three devices self loaded over a period of about 1/2 hour. I also checked the Event Viewer and saw nothing there.

Attached Files:

4. TimN

TimN Private E-2

Oh, I spoke too soon. I rebooted my computer and it is back to hanging up. I tried to install the MB Chipset driver, reboot and then install the Lenovo SoundMax driver to see it that would work. . . it didn't. It was interesting that the SoundMax driver took about 20 minutes to install - that seemed a bit long. Another symptom of this sound driver problem is that during windows start up, it takes about 10 minutes longer to start when SoundMax is enabled. The OS actually hangs up for about 10 minutes (the computer clock in the task bar does not move during that time). I looked at the event viewer and found an application error event 1000 that occurred during start up. Hope this is helpful info.

5. TimN

TimN Private E-2

Laptop continues to hang when I enable soundmax. I am attaching an excel file of my event viewer log. The sound problems began when my 2nd DIMM card went bad which caused fatal errors and a blue screen. I was able to restart my computer only when I removed and reinstalled the card. After a few days I had to remove the 512 MB card altogether or my laptop would not start up. A couple days ago I installed a 1gb card.

Attached Files:

6. TimN

TimN Private E-2

Well . . . yesterday I gave up and reinstalled WinXP on my computer. The sound works fine now ! ! !:p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds