help with a sata hdd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by earlwhite05, Feb 25, 2008.

1. earlwhite05

earlwhite05 Private First Class

hey guys i need some help with this, i dont know if i need to be in hardware or soft ware but whats going on is when i boot up it wont start windows and it gives me a blue screen error message,tells me to run checkdisk but how do i do that if i cant get into windows???it wont let me start up in safe mode or n-e thing

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

To run chkdsk, you need to boot to your Windows XP installation CD. And you'll press "r" to enter the Recovery Console when prompted. When in the Recovery Console, the actual command you want to type is chkdsk c: /r and press Enter. Running a full repair chkdsk can take a long, long time. I've seen it take over 12 hours on a 250gb hard drive that had lots of problems, so be patient. It may look like it has locked up, but it hasn't. It may also go 'backward'... I've seen chkdsk get up to 68% and then jump back to 47%, get back up to 74% and jump back to 52%, so don't be alarmed if this happens either. Now, if you can post the blue screen error number (it'll look like STOP:0x0000008E ) and any file names listed, we may be able to help repair the problem.

BTW- the Recovery Console is like good old DOS for Windows XPs file system, which is NTFS....

3. earlwhite05

earlwhite05 Private First Class

thanks for that reply, i did all that and what it looks like to me is.... well let me tell you what happend to it first what it is is the person that owns the computer his wife pulled the power plug out when they were useing it and now frome what ive seen when i run the chkdsk if says its fine and when i actualy run the windows disk and go to where you hit enter to install on the selected partiton its compleatly empty exept the recovery partitonthe rest has nothing on it.so what ever they did they lost all of it and they never made a back up set of disks either,the computer is a hp so i think i can put another copy of xp on it and be fine the only problem is why cant i run the recovery console???

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds