Two Connections, One Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Onetoomanysodas, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Onetoomanysodas

Onetoomanysodas Private E-2

I've tried my best on Google with this problem but have been unable to find the solution.

I have two network connections going to one computer. The connections are separate lines (DSL & Cable) and both connections come through routers.

The first connection is meant to handle all incoming and outgoing traffic for the host (comp1); the router is configured for certain ports accordingly (FTP & HTTP). The second connection is hooked to another router which a separate host machine (comp2) is the gateway for. The purpose of hooking the computer (comp1) to this other router is so that comp1 and comp2 may be networked (for reasons of file sharing and redirection).

The problem is that when both connections are active, the network is confused and does not connect to any machine on the second router. I want to be able to restrict the second connection to only use the File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and force the Internet Protocol to only be associated with the first connection.

Sorry if my requests are confusing but I'm not familiar with configuring the Microsoft Network.

Thanks!

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

You can not have two Router in tandem on the same network.

Configure each computer different subnet on its own Router, and use WinXP Pro/Vista to Bridge the two Networks so that you can share Files.

Or get w dual WAN Router and configure every thing as one cohesive Network.

http://www.ezlan.net/loadbalance.html

3. Onetoomanysodas

The two routers are not on the same network.

Bridging the connections will not solve my problem either.

I could get a dual WAN Router but I'd rather try and do it without one.

4. Onetoomanysodas

Solution to Two Connections, One Computer: (For Windows 98, 2000, ME & XP)

If you have two internet connections, each going to separate routers, and both going to the same computer like this:
    ex:
    Code:
    [DSL]-->[Router 1]----.
                          |--->[Server]
    [Cable]-->[Router 2]--'

Figure out which connection you want the computer to use by default (for apps that access the internet). In this example, I want traffic to default to my Cable internet because it's faster.

Oddly enough, Windows defaults to whichever connection is the "most recent". This means if your computer has two Ethernet adapters and a cable is plugged into each one, Windows will use the last one by default. So if you had Local Area Connection 3 and Local Area Connection 4 both enabled, all outgoing internet traffic would default to Local Area Connection 4. So since I want my Cable connection to be used by default, I would plug my DSL line into the first adapter and my Cable line into the second.

Once both connections are hooked up, you must clear up identical gateway addresses on the network.

Open up command prompt ip config:
    Start > Run > CMD > "IPCONFIG /ALL"

Compare the Default Gateway's of the connections.

Ethernet adapter DSL:
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-AA-11-BB-22-CC
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Ethernet adapter Cable:
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-A0-B1-C2-D3-E4
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2

If the Default Gateway numbers match, disable the connection you want the computer to use by default under Network Connections from the Control Panel:

[​IMG]

Then type the default gateway address into your browser and navigate to it, in this example: 192.168.0.1 will take me to my DSL router.

Log in to your router and find the advanced settings for LAN TCP/IP SETUP (this varies among different routers).

Fnd the IP Address box that matches the default gateway (192.168.0.1) and change the second to last chunk to something else (192.168.1.1)

Apply the settings.

Enable the connection you disabled.

Now the routers are configured to different gateway addresses, which makes them each unique to the computer instead of identical:
    Code:
    [DSL]-->[Router 1 (192.168.1.1)]----.
                                        |--->[Server]
    [Cable]-->[Router 2 (192.168.0.1)]--'

WooT! You're done at this point if you want both connections to allow incoming traffic. Make sure to enable the connection you disabled and right click > Repair both connections just to ensure they're up to date with the router. You're DONE!

------------------

Continue reading ONLY if you want the secondary connection hooked up so the computer can be networked with other computers attached to the router.

Open up command prompt ip config:
    Start > Run > CMD > "IPCONFIG /ALL"

Get the IP Address and Subnet Mask of the connection you don't want internet coming through:

Ethernet adapter DSL:
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-AA-11-BB-22-CC
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter Cable:
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-A0-B1-C2-D3-E4
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2

Back under the Network Connections window, select the properties of that connection:

[​IMG]

Select the Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and hit Properties:

[​IMG]

In the properties window, select Use the following IP address.
    Enter the IP Address and Subnet Mask of the connection.
    Leave the Default Gateway blank.
    [​IMG]

Hit OK. DONE! :)
    Now this connection can share folders and files with other computers attached to the router.
    This connection will not have any traffic going through it.

If anyone has questions or problems, E-Mail me or post back here.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds