Simple Question - Improving PC performance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stewieandco, Feb 26, 2008.

1. stewieandco

stewieandco Private E-2

OK, a quick question for the technical geeks here.

When i work on sketchup, and particularly vray, the computer slows down dramatically, and i often have to cancel processes in Task Manager to continue to work. Would a boost to 2GB DDR2 Ram fix the problem?

My computer currently has 1GB DDR2 Ram, 3.04GhZ processor, and is ~8 months old.

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Yes, adding the RAM will help but also make sure there are no other resource-gobbling apps running at the same time (unless you absolutely need them).

3. stewieandco

stewieandco Private E-2

ok. will give it a go with the upgrade. Just wanted to get your thoughts as to whether it was worth it. Thanks heaps for the help

4. Bryan Choate

Bryan Choate Memory Geek

Hi stewieandco,

1GB of memory is more or less the bare minimum nowadays. This rises to 2GB of you are using Vista. And any kind of drafting program (I assume that is what this is) hogs memory. The good news is that memory is dirt cheap these days. Take a look at various etail sites if you can wait for shipping--should be able to nab some for around $19.99. If you want to go the retail route--then your typical retail store usually has1GB DDR2 Memory on sale for 29.99-34.99.

Hope this helps!

Bryan

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds