Program crash whenever I save

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ronald_Young_At_RCAT, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronald_Young_At_RCAT

Ronald_Young_At_RCAT Private E-2

I have been using Adobe Illustrator CS3 on and off and recently it's started crashing everytime I try to save a document (.ai .eps etc). Nothing in my system has changed but ever since I opened it for the first time in a month or so, it's not allowing me to save any type of file. When I try to save, it just freezes for about 15 seconds and then comes up with the 'send error report' window and then closes. I lost some work because of it and now I cannot use it.

Here is the only info I can access when it happens:
    AppName: illustrator.exe AppVer: 13.0.128.0 ModName: agm.dll
    ModVer: 4.17.26.1 Offset: 002d3fa0

Caused by:
    C:\DOCUME~1\JONATH~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ab27_appcompat.txt

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this to happen?

I'm getting tired of computers thinking for themselves and changing what used to run smoothly. All my other CS3 programs are fine (Photoshop, Flash etc).

Thank you.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Please post the exact error message that comes up, and check the Event Viewer and post any relevant info from there also. To get into the Event Viewer: right click My Computer > Manage. Click Event Viewer and check in System and also check Applications for any errors. Right click the error and choose Properties to get the details. I've attached an example of what we need... pretty much anything that's inside a red box in the Error Properties window in the screen shot below is info we'd need. Naturally, the application won't be IEXPLORE as in the example (duh). And here's a link to the Illustrator knowledge base; maybe they have something that can help http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/microsites/searchEntry.do At the top of the page are two boxes, the one on the right has a drop down menu; select Illustrator and then put any details for your search in the box on the left. But you already knew how to do that, so I didn't need to tell you ;)
    You may need to view the screen shot in full screen, or maybe even change your resolution to see it clearly. I had to save it as a GIF to make it small enough to upload, and therefore lost some of the detail.
    Good luck!

Attached Files:

3. Ronald_Young_At_RCAT

Thank you for your help.

This is the exact error message:

AppName: illustrator.exe AppVer: 13.0.128.0 ModName: agm.dll
    ModVer: 4.17.26.1 Offset: 002d3fa0

And this is what appears in Computer Management:

Source: Application Error
    Category: None
    Event ID: 1000

Faulting application illustrator.exe, version 13.0.128.0, faulting module agm.dll, version 4.17.26.1, fault address 0x002d3fa0.

I will also check out the Adobe knowledge base.

Does this help?

Thanks again!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yup! Those are the details I needed. Now, just give me some time, be patient, and I'll see if I can come up with something for you. Can you simply re-install the Illustrator from the CD?

5. Ronald_Young_At_RCAT

Thank you ever so much for all your help. I really appreciate it, I thought someone on this forum would be the best option but I got the answer from a graphic design forum. It was the Illustrator preference file (located in C:\Documents and Settings\?????????\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings)
    . All I did to fix the problem was delete my preferences and let Illustrator create a new one. For some reason, this fixed the bug and I can now save files again.

Thank you for your help with my problem but I think it's solved now.

:)

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Thanks for posting back. A lot of people browse this forums so your solution may help someone else.

7. Ronald_Young_At_RCAT

That's why I did it. :) Plus I didn't want dlb racking his/her brains on a solution I already had.

8. elfinsoul

elfinsoul Private E-2

Hi guys,

I've been browsing the web for a solution for this problem.

I'm currently having the same problem and running a x64 WinXP(a fresh install).

Unfortunately deleting the AIPrefs file didn't help for me.

I'm in a rush trying to deliver files to a client but can't save final files.

Does anyone know any other solution to this problem?

Thanks

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

elfinsoul, please start a new thread with your problem.

10. Xtantsaab

Xtantsaab Private E-2

Ive been dealing with this problem forever. I have tired reinstalling, changing color modes, deleting my AIPrefs and every other thing you could think of. I finally figured out for my specific error it was something with my printer. 1. not being installed and 2. the printer spooler had an error. I had to manually restart my spooler in MS DOS.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc...iricinfo/fqm0_t_starting_a_print_spooler.html

Restarted my comp. then reinstalled my printer drivers and software perfectly. I then tried Illustrator thinking it wouldnt work but to my surprise it did. Very crazy. Good luck everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds